A theorem of C. Ryll-Nardzewski and metrizable l.c.a. groups
Author: L. Thomas Ramsey
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 78 (1980), 221-224
MSC: Primary 43A46; Secondary 03E50
MathSciNet review: 550498
Abstract: denotes a metrizable locally compact abelian group and its Bohr compactification. Let be a cluster point of some subset E of in the topology of . Then there are two disjoint subsets of E which also cluster at in the Bohr group topology. The proof is elementary and provides a new proof of the theorem of C. Ryll-Nardzewski on cluster points of I-sets in R. Given the continuum hypothesis, either theorem characterizes metrizability in locally compact abelian groups. One of these characterizations is shown to be equivalent to the continuum hypothesis.
-  Walter Rudin, Fourier analysis on groups, Interscience Tracts in Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 12, Interscience Publishers (a division of John Wiley and Sons), New York-London, 1962. MR 0152834
-  C. Ryll-Nardzewski, Concerning almost periodic extensions of functions, Colloq. Math. 12 (1964), 235–237. MR 0173129, https://doi.org/10.4064/cm-12-2-235-237
-  Edwin Hewitt and Kenneth A. Ross, Abstract harmonic anaylsis, Academic Press, New York, 1963.
- Walter Rudin, Fourier analysis on groups, Wiley, New York, 1969. MR 0152834 (27:2808)
- C. Ryll-Nardzewski, Concerning almost periodic extensions of functions, Colloq. Math. 12 (1964), 235-237. MR 0173129 (30:3344)
- Edwin Hewitt and Kenneth A. Ross, Abstract harmonic anaylsis, Academic Press, New York, 1963.
Keywords: Bohr compactification, l.c.a. groups, I-sets, continuum hypothesis
Article copyright: © Copyright 1980 American Mathematical Society