A simplification of the computation of the natural representation of the symmetric group
Abstract: Recent use of the symmetric group in processing identities in nonassociative algebras has brought a renewed interest in the natural (integral) irreducible representation of . Using a construction due to A. Young, H. Boerner gives a prescription for writing down the natural (integral) irreducible representation of the symmetric group over an algebraically closed field of characteristic zero [1, p. 119]. Writing down the matrices using this prescription is rather tedious, and becomes computationally impossible for large because of the need to calculate chains. In this paper, we simplify the computation of these matrices by eliminating the need to calculate chains. The calculation of the chains is replaced by the simple act of setting up and inverting an upper triangular matrix .
-  Hermann Boerner, Representation of groups with special consideration for the needs of modern physics, Translated from the German by P. G. Murphy in cooperation with J. Mayer-Kalkschmidt and P. Carr, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam; Interscience Publishers, a division of John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York; 1963, 1963. MR 0148766
-  J. Clifton, Complete sets of orthogonal tableaux, Ph. D. Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1980.
-  Irvin Roy Hentzel, Processing identities by group representation, Computers in nonassociative rings and algebras (Special session, 82nd Annual Meeting Amer. Math. Soc., San Antonio, Tex., 1976) Academic Press, New York, 1977, pp. 13–40. MR 0463251
-  Daniel Edwin Rutherford, Substitutional Analysis, Edinburgh, at the University Press, 1948. MR 0027272
-  Alfred Young, The collected papers of Alfred Young (1873–1940), University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Ont., Buffalo, N. Y., 1977. With a foreword by G. de B. Robinson and a biography by H. W. Turnbull; Mathematical Expositions, No. 21. MR 0439548
- H. Boerner, Representations of groups with special consideration for the needs of modern physics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1963. MR 0148766 (26:6272)
- J. Clifton, Complete sets of orthogonal tableaux, Ph. D. Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1980.
- I. Hentzel, Processing identities by group representation, Computers in Non-associative Rings and Algebras (R. E. Beck and B. Kolman, Eds.), Academic Press, New York, 1977, pp. 13-40. MR 0463251 (57:3204)
- D. Rutherford, Substitutional analysis, The Edinburgh Univ. Press, Edinburgh, 1948. MR 0027272 (10:280i)
- A. Young, The collected papers of Alfred Young, Univ. Toronto Press, Toronto, 1977. MR 0439548 (55:12438)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 20C30
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 20C30