A simplification of the computation of the natural representation of the symmetric group
Joseph M. Clifton
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 83 (1981), 248-250
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Recent use of the symmetric group in processing identities in nonassociative algebras has brought a renewed interest in the natural (integral) irreducible representation of . Using a construction due to A. Young, H. Boerner gives a prescription for writing down the natural (integral) irreducible representation of the symmetric group over an algebraically closed field of characteristic zero [1, p. 119]. Writing down the matrices using this prescription is rather tedious, and becomes computationally impossible for large because of the need to calculate chains. In this paper, we simplify the computation of these matrices by eliminating the need to calculate chains. The calculation of the chains is replaced by the simple act of setting up and inverting an upper triangular matrix .
Boerner, Representation of groups with special consideration for
the needs of modern physics, Translated from the German by P. G.
Murphy in cooperation with J. Mayer-Kalkschmidt and P. Carr, North-Holland
Publishing Co., Amsterdam; Interscience Publishers, a division of John
Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York; 1963, 1963. MR 0148766
J. Clifton, Complete sets of orthogonal tableaux, Ph. D. Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1980.
Roy Hentzel, Processing identities by group representation,
Computers in nonassociative rings and algebras (Special session, 82nd
Annual Meeting Amer. Math. Soc., San Antonio, Tex., 1976) Academic Press,
New York, 1977, pp. 13–40. MR 0463251
Edwin Rutherford, Substitutional Analysis, Edinburgh, at the
University Press, 1948. MR 0027272
Young, The collected papers of Alfred Young (1873–1940),
University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Ont., Buffalo, N. Y., 1977. With a
foreword by G. de B. Robinson and a biography by H. W. Turnbull;
Mathematical Expositions, No. 21. MR 0439548
- H. Boerner, Representations of groups with special consideration for the needs of modern physics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1963. MR 0148766 (26:6272)
- J. Clifton, Complete sets of orthogonal tableaux, Ph. D. Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1980.
- I. Hentzel, Processing identities by group representation, Computers in Non-associative Rings and Algebras (R. E. Beck and B. Kolman, Eds.), Academic Press, New York, 1977, pp. 13-40. MR 0463251 (57:3204)
- D. Rutherford, Substitutional analysis, The Edinburgh Univ. Press, Edinburgh, 1948. MR 0027272 (10:280i)
- A. Young, The collected papers of Alfred Young, Univ. Toronto Press, Toronto, 1977. MR 0439548 (55:12438)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1981
American Mathematical Society