A characterization of the uniform closure of the set of homeomorphisms of a compact totally disconnected metric space into itself
Frank B. Miles
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 84 (1982), 264-266
Primary 54C40; Secondary 54E50
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The limit index of a point in a compact metric space is defined. (Roughly: Isolated points have index 0, limit points have index 1, limit points of limit points have index 2, and so forth.) Then the following theorem is proved.
Theorem 1. Let be a compact, totally disconnected metric space. Then the uniform closure of the set of homeomorphisms of into itself is the set of continuous functions from to satisfying
(1) , and
(2) if is not a condensation point of , then contains at most one such that .
Further, the set of homeomorphisms of into is a dense subset of the complete metric space .
B. Miles, Compact, totally disconnected sets that contain
𝐾-sets, Michigan Math. J. 21 (1974),
315–319 (1975). MR 0405000
Kaufman, A functional method for linear sets, Israel J. Math.
5 (1967), 185–187. MR 0236607
Katznelson, An introduction to harmonic analysis, John Wiley
& Sons Inc., New York, 1968. MR 0248482
B. Miles, Existence of special 𝐾-sets in certain locally
compact abelian groups, Pacific J. Math. 44 (1973),
219–232. MR 0313721
Cantor, Ueber unendliche, lineare Punktmannichfaltigkeiten,
Math. Ann. 17 (1880), no. 3, 355–358 (German).
Kuratowski, Topology. Vol. I, New edition, revised and
augmented. Translated from the French by J. Jaworowski, Academic Press, New
York, 1966. MR
0217751 (36 #840)
- F. B. Miles, Compact, totally disconnected sets that contain -sets, Michigan Math. J. 21 (1974), 315-319. MR 0405000 (53:8796)
- R. Kaufman, A functional method for linear sets, Israel J. Math. 5 (1967), 185-187. MR 0236607 (38:4902)
- Y. Katznelson, An introduction to harmonic analysis, Wiley, New York, 1968, pp. 184-185. MR 0248482 (40:1734)
- F. B. Miles, Existence of special -sets in certain locally compact abelian groups, Pacific J. Math. 44 (1973), 219-232. MR 0313721 (47:2275)
- G. Cantor, Ueber enendliche, lineare Punktmannichfaltigkeiten, Math. Ann. 17 (1880), 355-358. MR 1510071
- K. Kuratowski, Topology, Vol. I, Academic Press, New York, 1966. MR 0217751 (36:840)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1982 American Mathematical Society