On partitions of plane sets into simple closed curves
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 88 (1983), 691-697
Primary 54B15; Secondary 57N05
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: We investigate the conjecture that the complement in the euclidean plane of a set of cardinality less than the continuum can be partitioned into simple closed curves iff has a single point. The case in which is finite was settled in  where it was used to prove that, among the compact connected two-manifolds, only the torus and the Klein bottle can be so partitioned. Here we prove the conjecture in the case where either has finitely many isolated points or finitely many cluster points. Also we show there exists a self-dense totally disconnected set of cardinality and a partition of into "rectangular" simple closed curves.
Bankston and Richard
J. McGovern, Topological partitions, General Topology Appl.
10 (1979), no. 3, 215–229. MR 546095
R. Fox (private communication).
Kuratowski, Topology. Vol. I, New edition, revised and
augmented. Translated from the French by J. Jaworowski, Academic Press, New
York-London; Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Warsaw, 1966. MR 0217751
S. Mazurkiewicz, Remarque sur un théorème de M. Mullikin, Fund. Math. 6 (1924), 37-38.
M. Mullikin, Certain theorems relating to plane
connected point sets, Trans. Amer. Math.
Soc. 24 (1922), no. 2, 144–162. MR
H. A. Newman, Elements of the topology of plane sets of
points, Second edition, reprinted, Cambridge University Press, New
York, 1961. MR
0132534 (24 #A2374)
- P. Bankston and R. McGovern, Topological partitions, General Topology and Appl. 10 (1979), 215-229. MR 80i: 54007. MR 546095 (80i:54007)
- R. Fox (private communication).
- K. Kuratowski, Topology, Vol. II, Academic Press, New York, 1966. MR 0217751 (36:840)
- S. Mazurkiewicz, Remarque sur un théorème de M. Mullikin, Fund. Math. 6 (1924), 37-38.
- A. M. Mullikin, Certain theorems relating to plane connected point sets, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 24 (1922), 144-162. MR 1501219
- M. H. A. Newman, Elements of the topology of plane sets of points, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1961. MR 0132534 (24:A2374)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
simple closed curves
© Copyright 1983
American Mathematical Society