On the existence of nonsimple real eigenvalues for general Sturm-Liouville problems
A. B. Mingarelli
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 89 (1983), 457-460
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problem , , where is required to satisfy a pair of homogeneous separated boundary conditions at , is considered when no sign restrictions are imposed upon the coefficients , . It will be shown that the general eigenvalue problem above can admit at most finitely many nonsimple real eigenvalues (in some cases none at all). Moreover, we will show by means of an example that nonsimple real eigenvalues may occur in the case when each of and changes sign in and under Dirichlet boundary conditions.
F. V. Atkinson and A. B. Mingarelli, private correspondence.
Courant and D.
Hilbert, Methods of mathematical physics. Vol. I, Interscience
Publishers, Inc., New York, N.Y., 1953. MR 0065391
L. Ince, Ordinary Differential Equations, Dover Publications,
New York, 1944. MR 0010757
B. Mingarelli, Some remarks on the order of an entire function
associated with a second-order differential equation, Ordinary
differential equations and operators (Dundee, 1982) Lecture Notes in
Math., vol. 1032, Springer, Berlin, 1983, pp. 384–389. MR
B. Mingarelli, Indefinite Sturm-Liouville problems, Ordinary
and partial differential equations (Dundee, 1982) Lecture Notes in Math.,
vol. 964, Springer, Berlin, 1982, pp. 519–528. MR 693136
G. D. Richardson, Contributions to the Study of Oscillation
Properties of the Solutions of Linear Differential Equations of the Second
Order, Amer. J. Math. 40 (1918), no. 3,
- F. V. Atkinson and A. B. Mingarelli, private correspondence.
- R. Courant and D. Hilbert, Methods of mathematical physics, Vol. 1, Interscience, New York, 1953. MR 0065391 (16:426a)
- E. Ince, Ordinary differential equations, Dover, New York, 1956. MR 0010757 (6:65f)
- A. B. Mingarelli, Some remarks on the order of an entire function associated with a second order differential equation, (Tribute to F. V. Atkinson, Proc. Sympos. on Differential Operators, Dundee, Scotland, March-April-May 1982), Lecture Notes in Math., Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York (to appear). MR 742651
- -, Indefinite Sturm-Liouville problems, Lecture Notes in Math.,Vol. 964, Springer-Verlag, Berlin and New York, 1983, pp. 519-528. MR 693136 (84f:34037)
- R. G. D. Richardson, Contributions to the study of oscillation properties of the solutions of linear differential equations of the second order, Amer. J. Math. 40 (1918), 283-316. MR 1506360
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1983 American Mathematical Society