Note on compact sets of first Baire class functions
Abstract: We give an example of a separable compact subspace of the space of first Baire class functions on the irrationals which cannot be embedded in the space of first Baire class functions on the Cantor set, both of the function spaces being considered with the pointwise topology. This answers a question asked in [Ta, Problem 14-2-4].
- [Ku] K. Kuratowski, Topology. Vol. I, New edition, revised and augmented. Translated from the French by J. Jaworowski, Academic Press, New York-London; Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Warsaw, 1966. MR 0217751
- [K-M] Kazimierz Kuratowski and Andrzej Mostowski, Set theory, Second, completely revised edition, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam-New York-Oxford; PWN—Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw, 1976. With an introduction to descriptive set theory; Translated from the 1966 Polish original; Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, Vol. 86. MR 0485384
- [Ta] Michel Talagrand, Pettis integral and measure theory, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 51 (1984), no. 307, ix+224. MR 756174, https://doi.org/10.1090/memo/0307
- K. Kuratowski, Topology, vol. I, PWN, Warszawa, 1966. MR 0217751 (36:840)
- K. Kuratowski and A. Mostowski, Set theory with an introduction to descriptive set theory, PWN, Warszawa, 1976. MR 0485384 (58:5230)
- M. Talagrand, Pettis integral and measure theory, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. No. 51 (1984). MR 756174 (86j:46042)