Polynomials with nonnegative coefficients
R. W. Barnard, W. Dayawansa, K. Pearce and D. Weinberg
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 113 (1991), 77-85
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The authors verify the conjecture that a conjugate pair of zeros can be factored from a polynomial with nonnegative coefficients so that the resulting polynomial still has nonnegative coefficients. The conjecture was originally posed by A. Rigler, S. Trimble, and R. Varga arising out of their work on the Beauzamy-Enflo generalization of Jensen's inequality. The conjecture was also made independently by B. Conroy in connection with his work in number theory. A crucial and interesting lemma is proved which describes general coefficient-root relations for polynomials with nonnegative coefficients and for polynomials for which the case of equality holds in Descarte's Rule of Signs.
Beauzamy, Jensen’s inequality for polynomials with
concentration at low degrees, Numer. Math. 49 (1986),
no. 2-3, 221–225. MR 848522
Beauzamy and P.
Enflo, Estimations de produits de polynômes, J. Number
Theory 21 (1985), no. 3, 390–412 (French). MR 814012
Evans and John
Greene, Polynomials with nonnegative coefficients whose zeros have
modulus one, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 22 (1991),
no. 4, 1173–1182. MR 1112073
Galvin, and Horacio
Porta, Problems and Solutions: Advanced Problems: 6631-6633,
Amer. Math. Monthly 97 (1990), no. 5, 432–433.
Pólya and Gabor
Szegő, Problems and theorems in analysis. II, Classics
in Mathematics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1998. Theory of functions, zeros,
polynomials, determinants, number theory, geometry; Translated from the
German by C. E. Billigheimer; Reprint of the 1976 English translation. MR
K. Rigler, S.
Y. Trimble, and R.
S. Varga, Sharp lower bounds for a generalized Jensen
inequality, Rocky Mountain J. Math. 19 (1989),
no. 1, 353–373. Constructive Function Theory—86 Conference
(Edmonton, AB, 1986). MR 1016187
- B. Beauzamy, Jensen's inequality for polynomials with concentration at low degrees, Numer. Math. 49 (1986), 221-225. MR 848522 (87h:26022)
- B. Beauzamy and P. Enflo, Estimations de produits de polynômes, J. Number Theory 21 (1985), 390-412. MR 814012 (87b:42001)
- R. Evans and J. Greene, Polynomials with positive coefficients whose zeros have modulus one, SIAM J. Math. Anal. 22 (1991). MR 1112073 (92d:33043)
- R. Evans and P. Montgomery, Problem 6631, Amer. Math. Monthly 97 (1990), 432-433. MR 1541726
- G. Polya and G. Szego, Problems and theorems in analysis II, Springer-Verlag, 1976. MR 1492448
- A. K. Rigler, S. Y. Trimble, and R. S. Varga, Sharp lower bounds for a generalized Jensen inequality, Rocky Mountain J. Math. (1991). MR 1016187 (90j:30055)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1991 American Mathematical Society