Horocycles on Riemann surfaces
Authors: Mika Seppälä and Tuomas Sorvali
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 118 (1993), 109-111
MSC: Primary 30F45; Secondary 51M10, 53A35
MathSciNet review: 1128730
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: By the Collar Theorem, every puncture on a hyperbolic Riemann surface with punctures has a horocyclic neighborhood of area . Furthermore two such neighborhoods associated to different punctures are disjoint.
This result can be improved if we omit the condition that horocyclic neighborhoods of different punctures must be disjoint. Using arguments of the second author we show, in this paper, that each puncture of a hyperbolic Riemann surface has a horocyclic neighborhood of area .
-  Peter Buser, Geometry and spectra of compact Riemann surfaces, Progress in Mathematics, vol. 106, Birkhäuser Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, 1992. MR 1183224
-  Noami Halpern, Some contributions to the theory of Riemann surfaces, Thesis, Columbia University, 1978.
-  Linda Keen, Collars on Riemann surfaces, Discontinuous groups and Riemann surfaces (Proc. Conf., Univ. Maryland, College Park, Md., 1973) Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N.J., 1974, pp. 263–268. Ann. of Math. Studies, No. 79. MR 0379833
-  Irwin Kra, Horocyclic coordinates for Riemann surfaces and moduli spaces. I. Teichmüller and Riemann spaces of Kleinian groups, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 3 (1990), no. 3, 499–578. MR 1049503, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0894-0347-1990-1049503-1
-  Tuomas Sorvali, Quasiconformally equivalent polygons, University of Joensuu, Joensuu, 1973. Joensuun Korkeakoulun Julkaisuja, Sarja B, No. 5. [Publications of the University of Joensuu, Series B, No. 5]. MR 0447566
- Peter Buser, Geometry and spectra of compact Riemann surfaces. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Boston, and New York (to appear). MR 1183224 (93g:58149)
- Noami Halpern, Some contributions to the theory of Riemann surfaces, Thesis, Columbia University, 1978.
- Linda Keen, Collars on Riemann surfaces, Discontinuous Groups and Riemann Surfaces, Ann. of Math. Stud., no. 79, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 1974, pp. 263-268. MR 0379833 (52:738)
- Irwin Kra, Horocyclic coordinates for Riemann surfaces and moduli spaces. I: Teichmüller spaces of Kleinian groups, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 3 (1990), 499-578. MR 1049503 (91c:32014)
- Tuomas Sorvali, On discontinuity of Moebius groups without elliptic elements, Publ. Univ. Joensuu, Ser. B 9 (1974), 1-4. MR 0447566 (56:5876)