Graph spaces and -free Boolean algebras
Author: Lutz Heindorf
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 121 (1994), 657-665
MSC: Primary 06E15; Secondary 05C99, 08A40, 54D80
MathSciNet review: 1246526
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Let X denote an arbitrary second-countable, compact, zero-dimensional space. Our main result says that X is a graph space, i.e., homeomorphic to the space of all complete subgraphs of a suitable graph. We first characterize graph spaces in terms of the Boolean algebras of their clopen subsets. Then it is proved that each countable Boolean algebra has the corresponding property.
As a corollary we obtain that X is homeomorphic to the underlying space of a subalgebra of , where 2 is the discrete two-point space and F any set of finitary operations on 2 such that neither the negation nor the ternary sum (addition modulo 2) belongs to the clone generated by F.
-  Murray G. Bell, The space of complete subgraphs of a graph, Comment. Math. Univ. Carolin. 23 (1982), no. 3, 525–536. MR 677860
-  Murray Bell and Jan Pelant, Continuous images of compact semilattices, Canad. Math. Bull. 30 (1987), no. 1, 109–113. MR 879879, https://doi.org/10.4153/CMB-1987-016-4
-  Sabine Koppelberg, Handbook of Boolean algebras. Vol. 1, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, 1989. Edited by J. Donald Monk and Robert Bonnet. MR 991565
-  Emil L. Post, The Two-Valued Iterative Systems of Mathematical Logic, Annals of Mathematics Studies, no. 5, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J., 1941. MR 0004195
- M. G. Bell, The space of complete subgraphs of a graph, Comm. Math. Univ. Carolin. 23 (1983), 525-536. MR 677860 (84a:54050)
- M. G. Bell and J. Pelant, Continuous images of compact semilattices, Canad. Math. Bull. 30 (1987), 109-113. MR 879879 (88c:54011)
- S. Koppelberg, General theory of Boolean algebras, Handbook of Boolean Algebras, Vol. 1 (J. D. Monk and R. Bonnet, eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1989. MR 991565 (90k:06002)
- E. L. Post, Two-valued iterative systems of mathematical logic, Ann. Math. Studies, vol. 5, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ, 1941. MR 0004195 (2:337a)