Normsets and determination
of unique factorization
in rings of algebraic integers
Author: Jim Coykendall
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 124 (1996), 1727-1732
MSC (1991): Primary 11R04, 11R29; Secondary 11Y40
MathSciNet review: 1317034
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: The image of the norm map from to (two rings of algebraic integers) is a multiplicative monoid . We present conditions under which is a UFD if and only if has unique factorization into irreducible elements. From this we derive a bound for checking if is a UFD.
- 1. J. W. S. Cassels and A. Frohlich, Algebraic Number Theory, Academic Press, London, 1967.
- 2. Harvey Cohn, Advanced number theory, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1980. Reprint of A second course in number theory, 1962; Dover Books on Advanced Mathematics. MR 594936
- 3. Władysław Narkiewicz, Elementary and analytic theory of algebraic numbers, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin; PWN—Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw, 1990. MR 1055830
- J. W. S. Cassels and A. Frohlich, Algebraic Number Theory, Academic Press, London, 1967.
- H. Cohn, Advanced Number Theory, Dover Publications, New York, 1980. MR 82b:12001
- W. Narkiewicz, Elementary and Analytic Theory of Algebraic Numbers, Springer-Verlag/Polish Scientific Publishers, Warszawa, 1990. MR 91h:11107
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853
Address at time of publication: Department of Mathematics, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Keywords: Normsets, Galois (extension), norm factorization field (extension), Minkowski bound
Received by editor(s): March 21, 1994
Received by editor(s) in revised form: December 29, 1994
Communicated by: William W. Adams
Article copyright: © Copyright 1996 American Mathematical Society