Forcing of periodic orbits for interval maps
and renormalization of piecewise affine maps
Abstract: We prove that for continuous maps on the interval, the existence of an -cycle implies the existence of points which interwind the original ones and are permuted by the map. We then use this combinatorial result to show that piecewise affine maps (with no zero slope) cannot be infinitely renormalizable.
- [BMT] K. M. Brucks, M. Misiurewicz, and C. Tresser, Monotonicity properties of the family of trapezoidal maps, Comm. Math. Phys. 137 (1991), no. 1, 1–12. MR 1099253
- [GMT] R. Galeeva, M. Martens, C. Tresser, Inducing, Slopes, and Conjugacy Classes, preprint 1994/4 at SUNY at Stony Brook, Israel J. Math. (to appear).
- [MMS] M. Martens, W. de Melo, and S. van Strien, Julia-Fatou-Sullivan theory for real one-dimensional dynamics, Acta Math. 168 (1992), no. 3-4, 273–318. MR 1161268, 10.1007/BF02392981
- [MT] John Milnor and William Thurston, On iterated maps of the interval, Dynamical systems (College Park, MD, 1986–87) Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 1342, Springer, Berlin, 1988, pp. 465–563. MR 970571, 10.1007/BFb0082847
- [LS] V. J. Lopez, L. Snoha, to appear.
- [S] Dennis Sullivan, Bounds, quadratic differentials, and renormalization conjectures, American Mathematical Society centennial publications, Vol. II (Providence, RI, 1988) Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1992, pp. 417–466. MR 1184622
- [T] Charles Tresser, Fine structure of universal Cantor sets, Instabilities and nonequilibrium structures, III (Valparaíso, 1989), Math. Appl., vol. 64, Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht, 1991, pp. 27–42. MR 1177838
- K. M. Brucks, M. Misiurewicz, C. Tresser, Monotonicity properties of the family of trapezoidal maps, Commun. Math. Phys. 137 (1991), 1--12. MR 92e:58108
- R. Galeeva, M. Martens, C. Tresser, Inducing, Slopes, and Conjugacy Classes, preprint 1994/4 at SUNY at Stony Brook, Israel J. Math. (to appear).
- M. Martens, W. de Melo, S. van Strien, Julia-Fatou-Sullivan Theory for real one-dimensional dynamics, Acta Math. 168 (1992), 273--318. MR 93d:58137
- J. Milnor, W. Thurston, On iterated maps of the interval, Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 1342 (1988), 465--563. MR 90a:58083
- V. J. Lopez, L. Snoha, to appear.
- D. Sullivan, Bounds, quadratic differentials and renormalization conjectures, Mathematics into the twenty-first Century: 1988 Centennial Symposium, ed. F. Browder, Amer. Math. Soc. (1992), 417--466. MR 93k:58194
- C. Tresser, Fine structure of universal Cantor sets, Instabilities and Nonequilibrium structures III, eds. E. Tirapegui and W. Zeller (Reidel) Dordrecht (1991). MR 93j:58045
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC (1991): 58F11
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC (1991): 58F11
Affiliation: Institute of Mathematical Sciences, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794-3651
Affiliation: I.B.M., P.O. Box 218, Yorktown Heights, New York 10598
Received by editor(s): December 29, 1994
Communicated by: Linda Keen
Article copyright: © Copyright 1996 American Mathematical Society