Intersection of essential ideals in
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125 (1997), 2149-2154
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: The infinite intersection of essential ideals in any ring may not be an essential ideal, this intersection may even be zero. By the topological characterization of the socle by Karamzadeh and Rostami (Proc. Amer. Math.Soc. 93 (1985), 179-184), and the topological characterization of essential ideals in Proposition 2.1, it is easy to see that every intersection of essential ideals of is an essential ideal if and only if the set of isolated points of is dense in . Motivated by this result in , we study the essentiallity of the intersection of essential ideals for topological spaces which may have no isolated points. In particular, some important ideals and , which are the intersection of essential ideals, are studied further and their essentiallity is characterized. Finally a question raised by Karamzadeh and Rostami, namely when the socle of and the ideal of coincide, is answered.
F. Azarpanah, Essential ideals in , Period. Math. Hungar. 31 (2) (1995), 105-112.
E. Dietrich Jr., On the ideal structure of
𝐶(𝑋), Trans. Amer. Math.
Soc. 152 (1970),
0265941 (42 #850), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1970-0265941-2
Gillman and Meyer
Jerison, Rings of continuous functions, Springer-Verlag, New
York-Heidelberg, 1976. Reprint of the 1960 edition; Graduate Texts in
Mathematics, No. 43. MR 0407579
A. S. Karamzadeh and M.
Rostami, On the intrinsic topology and some
related ideals of 𝐶(𝑋), Proc.
Amer. Math. Soc. 93 (1985), no. 1, 179–184. MR 766552
C. McConnell and J.
C. Robson, Noncommutative Noetherian rings, Pure and Applied
Mathematics (New York), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, 1987. With
the cooperation of L. W. Small; A Wiley-Interscience Publication. MR 934572
C. Rayburn, Compactifications with almost locally
compact outgrowth, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc.
106 (1989), no. 1,
961408 (89i:54037), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1989-0961408-4
- F. Azarpanah, Essential ideals in , Period. Math. Hungar. 31 (2) (1995), 105-112.
- W. Dietrich, On the ideal structure of , Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 152 (1970), 61-77. MR 42:850
- L. Gilman and M. Jerison, Rings of continuous functions, Springer-Verlag, 1976. MR 53:11352
- O. A. S. Karamzadeh and M. Rostami, On the intrinsic topology and some related ideals of , Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 93 (1) (1985), 179-184. MR 86g:54024
- J. C. McConnel and J. C. Robson, Noncommutative Noetherian rings, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1987. MR 89j:16023
- M. C. Rayburn, Compactifications with almost locally compact outgrowth, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 106 (1) (1989), 223-229. MR 89i:54037
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Department of Mathematics, The University, Ahvaz, Iran
almost locally compact,
Received by editor(s):
January 20, 1995
© Copyright 1997
American Mathematical Society