Extremal Solutions of a Class of Nonlinear Integro-Differential Equations in Banach spaces
Authors: Hong-Kun Xu and Juan J. Nieto
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125 (1997), 2605-2614
MSC (1991): Primary 45J05; Secondary 34G20
MathSciNet review: 1423341
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: The monotone iterative technique is applied to a class of nonlinear first order integro-differential equations in Banach spaces. First a linear system with a ``small'' nonlinear perturbation is solved using Banach's Contraction Principle and the technique of Green's function. Then based upon a comparison result, the existence of minimal and maximal solutions is proved.
- 1. C. Corduneanu, Integral equations and applications, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991. MR 1109491
- 2. Klaus Deimling, Nonlinear functional analysis, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985. MR 787404
- 3. Shou Chuan Hu and V. Lakshmikantham, Periodic boundary value problems for integro-differential equations of Volterra type, Nonlinear Anal. 10 (1986), no. 11, 1203–1208. MR 866253, https://doi.org/10.1016/0362-546X(86)90059-3
- 4. G. S. Ladde, V. Lakshmikantham, and A. S. Vatsala, Monotone iterative techniques for nonlinear differential equations, Monographs, Advanced Texts and Surveys in Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 27, Pitman (Advanced Publishing Program), Boston, MA; distributed by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1985. MR 855240
Lakshmikantham and S.
Leela, Differential and integral inequalities: Theory and
applications. Vol. I: Ordinary differential equations, Academic Press,
New York-London, 1969. Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Vol. 55-I.
V. Lakshmikantham and S. Leela, Differential and integral inequalities: Theory and applications. Vol. II: Functional, partial, abstract, and complex differential equations, Academic Press, New York-London, 1969. Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Vol. 55-II. MR 0379934
- 6. E. Liz and J. J. Nieto, Periodic boundary value problem for integro-differential equations with general kernel, Dynam. Systems Appl. 3 (1994), no. 3, 297–304. MR 1289805
- 7. Hong Kun Xu, Meng Su, and Xi Wen Lu, The monotone iterative technique for first order differential equations in Banach spaces, Math. Japon. 38 (1993), no. 4, 667–673. MR 1232773
- C. Corduneanu, Integral Equations and Applications, Cambridge University Press, 1991. MR 92h:45001
- K. Deimling, Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Springer-Verlag, Berlin/Heidelberg, 1985. MR 86j:47001
- S. Hu and V. Lakshmikantham, Periodic boundary value problems for integro-differential equations of Volterra type, Nonlinear Analysis: TMA 10 (1986), 1203-1208. MR 88c:45009
- G.S. Ladde, V. Lakshmikantham and A.S. Vatsala, Monotone Iterative Techniques for Nonlinear Differential Equations, Pitman Advanced Publishing Program, 1985. MR 88g:35006
- V. Lakshmikantham and S. Leela, Differential and integral inequalities, vols I, II, Academic Press, New York, 1969. MR 52:837; MR 52:838
- E. Liz and J.J. Nieto, Periodic boundary value problem for integro-differential equations with general kernel, Dynamic Systems and Applications 3 (1994), 297-304. MR 95f:45005
- H.K. Xu, M. Su and X.W. Lu, The monotone iterative technique for first order differential equations in Banach spaces, Math. Japonica 38 (1993), 667-673. MR 94d:34072
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Durban-Westville, Private Bag X54001, Durban 4000, South Africa
Juan J. Nieto
Affiliation: Departamento de Análisis Matemático, Facultad de Matemáticas, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Keywords: Periodic boundary value problem, first order nonlinear integro-differential equation, Green's function, monotone iterative technique, minimal and maximal solutions, normal cone, Banach space
Received by editor(s): March 13, 1996
Additional Notes: Part of the paper was announced by the first author at the International Symposium on Methods and Applications of Analysis, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, December 16–19, 1994.
The first author was partially supported by the South African Foundation for Research Development.
Communicated by: Palle E. T. Jorgensen
Article copyright: © Copyright 1997 American Mathematical Society