A critical metric for the -norm
of the curvature tensor on
Abstract: The -norm of the curvature tensor
defines a Riemannian functional on the space of metrics. This work exhibits a metric on which is of Berger type but not of constant ricci curvature, and yet is critical for .
- 1. SigurÄur Helgason, Differential geometry and symmetric spaces, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. XII, Academic Press, New York-London, 1962. MR 0145455
- 2. Francois Lamontagne Ph.D. Thesis S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook.
- 3. John Milnor, Curvatures of left invariant metrics on Lie groups, Advances in Math. 21 (1976), no. 3, 293–329. MR 0425012, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-8708(76)80002-3
- 4. Richard S. Palais, The principle of symmetric criticality, Comm. Math. Phys. 69 (1979), no. 1, 19–30. MR 547524
- S. Helgason Differential Geometry, Lie Groups, and Symmetric Spaces Academic Press. MR 26:2986
- Francois Lamontagne Ph.D. Thesis S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook.
- J. Milnor Curvature of Left Invariant Metrics on Lie Groups Advances in Mathematics 21 p.293-329 (1976). MR 54:12970
- R. Palais The Principle of Symmetric Criticality Communications in Mathematical Physics 69 p.19-30 (1979). MR 81c:58026
Affiliation: Centre de Recherches Mathématiques, Université de Montréal, Montréal, Québec, Canada
Keywords: Critical metrics, Hopf fibration, Berger sphere
Received by editor(s): December 7, 1995
Received by editor(s) in revised form: July 31, 1996
Communicated by: Christopher Croke
Article copyright: © Copyright 1998 American Mathematical Society