Abstract: The idea of initial form is refined into the concept of polyform. This can be used to streamline desingularization.
- [AbhR] Shreeram Shankar Abhyankar, Resolution of singularities of embedded algebraic surfaces, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 24, Academic Press, New York-London, 1966. MR 0217069
- [AbhD] Shreeram S. Abhyankar, Desingularization of plane curves, Singularities, Part 1 (Arcata, Calif., 1981) Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., vol. 40, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1983, pp. 1–45. MR 713043
- [AbhW] Shreeram S. Abhyankar, Weighted expansions for canonical desingularization, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 910, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York, 1982. With a foreword by U. Orbanz. MR 653634
- [AbhG] Shreeram S. Abhyankar, Good points of a hypersurface, Adv. in Math. 68 (1988), no. 2, 87–256. MR 934366, 10.1016/0001-8708(88)90015-1
- [Bhas] Bhaskaracharya, Beejaganit, 1150.
- [Mats] Hideyuki Matsumura, Commutative algebra, 2nd ed., Mathematics Lecture Note Series, vol. 56, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., Inc., Reading, Mass., 1980. MR 575344
- [Naga] Masayoshi Nagata, Local rings, Interscience Tracts in Pure and Applied Mathematics, No. 13, Interscience Publishers a division of John Wiley & Sons New York-London, 1962. MR 0155856
- [ZarS] Oscar Zariski and Pierre Samuel, Commutative algebra. Vol. II, The University Series in Higher Mathematics, D. Van Nostrand Co., Inc., Princeton, N. J.-Toronto-London-New York, 1960. MR 0120249
- S. S. Abhyankar, Resolution of Singularities of Embedded Algebraic Surfaces, Academic Press, New York, 1966. MR 36:164
- S. S. Abhyankar, Desingularization of Plane Curves, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics 40 (1983), 1-45. MR 85d:14024
- S. S. Abhyankar, Weighted Expansions for Canonical Desingularization, Springer Verlag, New York, 1982. MR 84m:14013
- S. S. Abhyankar, Good Points of a Hypersurface, Advances in Mathematics 68 (1988), 87-256. MR 89e:14012
- Bhaskaracharya, Beejaganit, 1150.
- H. Matsumura, Commutative Algebra, Second Edition, Benjamin, Reading, 1980. MR 82i:13003
- M. Nagata, Local Rings, Interscience, New York, 1962. MR 27:5790
- O. Zariski and P. Samuel, Commutative Algebra II, Van Nostrand, Princeton, 1960. MR 22:11006
Shreeram S. Abhyankar
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
Received by editor(s): July 29, 1996
Received by editor(s) in revised form: November 8, 1996
Additional Notes: This work was partly supported by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft and the National Security Agency.
Dedicated: Dedicated to Herbert Popp for his Sixtieth Birthday
Communicated by: Wolmer V. Vasconcelos
Article copyright: © Copyright 1998 American Mathematical Society