Completely contractive representations
for some doubly generated
antisymmetric operator algebras
S. C. Power
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 2355-2359
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Contractive weak star continuous representations of the Fourier binest algebra (of Katavolos and Power) are shown to be completely contractive. The proof depends on the approximation of by semicrossed product algebras and on the complete contractivity of contractive representations of such algebras. The latter result is obtained by two applications of the Sz.-Nagy-Foias lifting theorem. In the presence of an approximate identity of compact operators it is shown that an automorphism of a general weakly closed operator algebra is necessarily continuous for the weak star topology and leaves invariant the subalgebra of compact operators. This fact and the main result are used to show that isometric automorphisms of the Fourier binest algebra are unitarily implemented.
R. Davidson, V.
I. Paulsen, and S.
C. Power, Tree algebras, semidiscreteness, and dilation
theory, Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 68 (1994),
no. 1, 178–202. MR 1243841
R. Davidson and S.
C. Power, Isometric automorphisms and homology for nonselfadjoint
operator algebras, Quart. J. Math. Oxford Ser. (2) 42
(1991), no. 167, 271–292. MR 1120989
Hamana, Injective envelopes of operator systems, Publ. Res.
Inst. Math. Sci. 15 (1979), no. 3, 773–785. MR 566081
Peters, and Warren
Wogen, Spectral properties of semicrossed products, Houston J.
Math. 19 (1993), no. 4, 649–660. MR 1251615
A. Katavolos and S.C. Power, The Fourier Binest Algebra, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 122 (1997), 525-539. CMP 97:17
Ling and Paul
S. Muhly, An automorphic form of Ando’s theorem,
Integral Equations Operator Theory 12 (1989), no. 3,
998282 (90h:46103), http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01235741
J. McAsey and Paul
S. Muhly, Representations of nonselfadjoint crossed products,
Proc. London Math. Soc. (3) 47 (1983), no. 1,
698930 (85a:46039), http://dx.doi.org/10.1112/plms/s3-47.1.128
I. Paulsen and S.
C. Power, Lifting theorems for nest algebras, J. Operator
Theory 20 (1988), no. 2, 311–327. MR 1004126
I. Paulsen, S.
C. Power, and J.
D. Ward, Semi-discreteness and dilation theory for nest
algebras, J. Funct. Anal. 80 (1988), no. 1,
960224 (89h:47064), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-1236(88)90066-3
- K.R.Davidson, V.I.Paulsen and S.C. Power, Tree algebras, semidiscreteness and dilation theory, Proc London Math. Soc. 68 (1994), 178-202. MR 94m:47087
- K.R. Davidson and S.C. Power, Isometric automorphisms and homology for nonselfadjoint operator algebras, Quart.Math.J., 42 (1991), 271-292. MR 92h:47058
- M. Hamana, Injective envelopes of operator systems, Publ. RIMS, Kyoto Univ., 15 (1979), 773-785. MR 81h:46071
- T. Hoover, J. Peters and W. Wogen, Spectral Properties of semicrossed products, Houston J. Math. 19 (1993), 649-660. MR 94k:47067
- A. Katavolos and S.C. Power, The Fourier Binest Algebra, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 122 (1997), 525-539. CMP 97:17
- K-S Ling and P.S. Muhly, An automorphic form of Ando's theorem, J. Integral Equ. and Operator Th., 12 (1989),424-434. MR 90h:46103
- M.J. McAsey and P.S. Muhly, Representations of nonselfadjoint crossed products, Proc. London Math. Soc., 47 (1983), 128-144. MR 85a:46039
- V.I.Paulsen and S.C. Power, Lifting theorems for nest algebras, J. Operator Th., 20 (1988), 311-327. MR 90g:47010
- V.I. Paulsen, S.C. Power and J.O. Ward Semi-discreteness and dilation theory for nest algebras, J. of Functional Anal. 80 (1988), 76-87. MR 89h:47064
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
S. C. Power
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Lancaster University, LA1 4YF, England
Received by editor(s):
December 18, 1995
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
February 22, 1996, March 4, 1996, and January 21, 1997
Partially supported by a NATO Collaborative Research Grant
Palle E. T. Jorgensen
© Copyright 1998 American Mathematical Society