A unified extension of two results of Ky Fan
on the sum of matrices
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 126 (1998), 2607-2614
Primary 15A60, 22E30
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let be an Hermitian matrix with where are the ordered eigenvalues of . A result of Ky Fan (1949) asserts that if and are Hermitian matrices, then is majorized by . We extend the result in the framework of real semisimple Lie algebras in the following way. Let be a noncompact real semisimple Lie algebra with Cartan decomposition . We show that for any given , , where is the unique element corresponding to , in a fixed closed positive Weyl chamber of a maximal abelian subalgebra of in . Here the ordering is induced by the dual cone of . Fan's result corresponds to the Lie algebra . The compact case is also discussed. As applications, two unexpected singular values inequalities concerning the sum of two real matrices and the sum of two real skew symmetric matrices are obtained.
F. Atiyah and R.
Bott, The Yang-Mills equations over Riemann surfaces, Philos.
Trans. Roy. Soc. London Ser. A 308 (1983), no. 1505,
702806 (85k:14006), http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1983.0017
Rusu, and C.
Huiu, Exposition of a plane-axial geometric representation,
Bul. Inst. Politehn. Iaşi (N.S.) 8 (12) (1962),
no. fasc. 3-4, 65–74 (Romanian, with Russian and Italian
0184116 (32 #1590)
Fan, On a theorem of Weyl concerning eigenvalues of linear
transformations. I, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 35
(1949), 652–655. MR 0034519
Fan, Maximum properties and inequalities for the eigenvalues of
completely continuous operators, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., U. S. A.
37 (1951), 760–766. MR 0045952
Fan and A.
J. Hoffman, Some metric inequalities in the space
of matrices, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 6 (1955), 111–116. MR 0067841
Helgason, Differential geometry, Lie groups, and symmetric
spaces, Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 80, Academic Press,
Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New York-London, 1978. MR 514561
Heinrich Hofmann, and Jimmie
D. Lawson, Lie groups, convex cones, and semigroups, Oxford
Mathematical Monographs, The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New
York, 1989. Oxford Science Publications. MR 1032761
W. Knapp, Representation theory of semisimple groups,
Princeton Mathematical Series, vol. 36, Princeton University Press,
Princeton, NJ, 1986. An overview based on examples. MR 855239
Kostant, On convexity, the Weyl group and the Iwasawa
decomposition, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (4)
6 (1973), 413–455 (1974). MR 0364552
W. Marshall and Ingram
Olkin, Inequalities: theory of majorization and its
applications, Mathematics in Science and Engineering, vol. 143,
Academic Press, Inc. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers], New
York-London, 1979. MR 552278
L. Onishchik and È.
B. Vinberg, Lie groups and algebraic groups, Springer Series
in Soviet Mathematics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990. Translated from the
Russian and with a preface by D. A. Leites. MR 1064110
Tam T. Y. (1997), Kostant's convexity theorem and the compact classical groups, Linear and Multilinear Algebra 43 (1997), 87-113.
C. Thompson and Linda
J. Freede, On the eigenvalues of sums of Hermitian matrices,
Linear Algebra and Appl. 4 (1971), 369–376. MR 0288132
- Atiyah M. F. and Bott R. (1983), The Yang-Mills equations over Riemann surfaces, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 308:523-615. MR 85k:14006
- Bourbaki, N. (1968), Elements de mathematique, groupes et algébres de Lie, ch. 4-6. Paris, Hermann. MR 32:1590
- Fan K. (1949), On a theorem of Weyl concerning eigenvalues of linear transformatioins I., Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 35:652-655. MR 11:600e
- Fan K. (1951), Maximum properties and inequalities for the eigenvalues of completely continuous operators, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 37:760-766. MR 13:661e
- Fan K. and Hoffman A. (1955), Some metric inequalities in the space of matrices, Proc Amer. Math. Soc. 6:111-116. MR 16:784j
- Helgason S. (1978), Differential Geometry, Lie Groups and Symmetric Space, New York: Academic. MR 80k:53081
- Hilgert J., Hofmann K.H. and Lawson J.D. (1989), Lie Groups, Convex Cones and Semi-groups, Oxford Science Publications. MR 91k:22020
- Knapp A. W. (1986), Representation Theory of Semisimple Groups, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey. MR 87j:22022
- Kostant B. (1973), On convexity, the Weyl group and Iwasawa decomposition, Ann. Sci. Ecole Norm. Sup. (4) 6:413-460. MR 51:806
- Marshall A. W. and Olkin I. (1979) Inequalities: Theory of Majorization and Its Applications, Academic Press, New York. MR 81b:00002
- Onishchik A.L. and Vinberg E. B. (1990), Lie Groups and Algebraic Groups, Springer-Verlag, Berlin. MR 91g:22001
- Tam T. Y. (1997), Kostant's convexity theorem and the compact classical groups, Linear and Multilinear Algebra 43 (1997), 87-113.
- Thompson R. C. and Freede L. (1971), On the eigenvalues of sums of Hermitian matrices, Linear Algebra and Its Applications 4:369-376. MR 44:5330
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Department of Mathematics, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 36849-5310
Received by editor(s):
February 13, 1997
Part of this work was done while the author was a visiting scholar in Mathematics Department of the University of Hong Kong, Dec. 1996-Jan. 1997. The travel was made possible by local subsistence provided by the department and travel grants from COSAM of Auburn University and NSF EPSCoR in Alabama.
Lance W. Small
© Copyright 1998
American Mathematical Society