Generic polynomials for quasi-dihedral, dihedral and modular extensions of order 16
Abstract: We describe Galois extensions where the Galois group is the quasi-dihedral, dihedral or modular group of order , and use this description to produce generic polynomials.
- [Bl] Anand Pillay, Differential Galois theory. I, Illinois J. Math. 42 (1998), no. 4, 678–699. MR 1649893
- [Ja] Nathan Jacobson, Basic algebra. I, 2nd ed., W. H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1985. MR 780184
- [Ki] Ian Kiming, Explicit classifications of some 2-extensions of a field of characteristic different from 2, Canad. J. Math. 42 (1990), no. 5, 825–855. MR 1080998, 10.4153/CJM-1990-043-6
- [Le1] Arne Ledet, On 2-groups as Galois groups, Canad. J. Math. 47 (1995), no. 6, 1253–1273. MR 1370517, 10.4153/CJM-1995-064-3
- [Le2] -, Embedding Problems and Equivalence of Quadratic Forms, Math. Scand. (to appear).
- [Sa] David J. Saltman, Generic Galois extensions and problems in field theory, Adv. in Math. 43 (1982), no. 3, 250–283. MR 648801, 10.1016/0001-8708(82)90036-6
- E. V. Black, Deformations of Dihedral -Group Extensions of Fields, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 351 (1999), 3229-3241. MR 99m:12009
- N. Jacobson, Basic Algebra I, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1985. MR 86d:00001
- I. Kiming, Explicit Classifications of some -Extensions of a Field of Characteristic different from , Canad. J. Math. 42 (1990), 825-855. MR 92c:11115
- A. Ledet, On -Groups as Galois Groups, Canad. J. Math. 47 (1995), 1253-1273. MR 97a:12003
- -, Embedding Problems and Equivalence of Quadratic Forms, Math. Scand. (to appear).
- D. Saltman, Generic Galois Extensions and Problems in Field Theory, Adv. Math. 43 (1982), 250-283. MR 84a:13007
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society with MSC (2000): 12F12
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC (2000): 12F12
Affiliation: Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
Received by editor(s): September 8, 1998
Published electronically: December 8, 1999
Additional Notes: This work was supported by a Queen’s University Advisory Research Committee Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Communicated by: David E. Rohrlich
Article copyright: © Copyright 2000 American Mathematical Society