Irreducibility of the -classes on smooth rational surfaces
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 133 (2005), 2219-2224
Primary 14J26; Secondary 14F05
March 14, 2005
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: We give a characterization for a -divisor on a smooth rational surface to be irreducible under the assumption that an anticanonical divisor of is nef. Here is nef means for every effective divisor on , and a -divisor is a divisor such that the two numerical conditions hold.
As an application we give explicit examples of blowing up the projective plane at nine points infinitely near such that the obtained surface has an infinite number of -curves. A -curve is a smooth rational curve of self-intersection .
Peters, and A.
Van de Ven, Compact complex surfaces, Ergebnisse der
Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete (3) [Results in Mathematics and Related
Areas (3)], vol. 4, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984. MR 749574
B. Harbourne, Private communication.
Harbourne, Rational surfaces with
𝐾²>0, Proc. Amer. Math.
Soc. 124 (1996), no. 3, 727–733. MR 1307526
Harbourne, Anticanonical rational
surfaces, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.
349 (1997), no. 3,
1191–1208. MR 1373636
Hartshorne, Algebraic geometry, Springer-Verlag, New York,
1977. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, No. 52. MR 0463157
Nagata, On rational surfaces. II, Mem. Coll. Sci. Univ. Kyoto
Ser. A Math. 33 (1960/1961), 271–293. MR 0126444
- W. Barth, C. Peters, A. Van de Ven, Compact Complex Surfaces. Berlin, Springer (1984). MR 0749574 (86c:32026)
- B. Harbourne, Private communication.
- B. Harbourne, Rational surfaces with , Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, Volume 124, Number 3, March 1996. MR 1307526 (96f:14045)
- B. Harbourne, Anticanonical rational surfaces, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Volume 349 (1997), Number 3, 1191-1208. MR 1373636 (97f:14007)
- R. Hartshorne, Algebraic Geometry, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Springer Verlag (1977). MR 0463157 (57:3116)
- M. Nagata, On rational surfaces, II, Mem. Coll. Sci. Univ. Kyoto, Ser. A Math. 33 (1960), 271-293. MR 0126444 (23:A3740)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (2000):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (2000):
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, 34100 Trieste, Italy
Address at time of publication:
Departamento de Àlgebra, Geometrìa y Topologìa, Facultad de Ciencias, 47005 Valladolid, Spain
Smooth rational surfaces,
Hodge Index Theorem,
points in general position,
Received by editor(s):
June 28, 2001
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
October 15, 2003
March 14, 2005
The author was partially supported by a postdoctoral fellowship at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (Trieste, Italy) and a Marie Curie grant number HPMD-GH-01-00097-01 at the department of “Álgebra, Geometría y Topología” of Valladolid University (Valladolid, Spain).
This research is dedicated to my mother, Hnia Hamami
© Copyright 2005 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.