Can a large cardinal be forced from a condition implying its negation?
Arthur W. Apter and Grigor Sargsyan
Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 133 (2005), 3103-3108
Primary 03E02, 03E35, 03E55
May 4, 2005
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: In this note, we provide an affirmative answer to the title question by giving two examples of cardinals satisfying conditions implying they are non-Rowbottom which can be turned into Rowbottom cardinals via forcing. In our second example, our cardinal is also non-Jonsson.
W. Apter and Joel
David Hamkins, Exactly controlling the non-supercompact strongly
compact cardinals, J. Symbolic Logic 68 (2003),
no. 2, 669–688. MR 1976597
W. Apter and James
M. Henle, Relative consistency results via strong compactness,
Fund. Math. 139 (1991), no. 2, 133–149. MR 1150596
J. Devlin, Some weak versions of large cardinal axioms, Ann.
Math. Logic 5 (1972–1973), 291–325. MR 0363906
M. Henle, Partition properties and Prikry forcing on simple
spaces, J. Symbolic Logic 55 (1990), no. 3,
938–947. MR 1071307
Kanamori, The higher infinite, Perspectives in Mathematical
Logic, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1994. Large cardinals in set theory from
their beginnings. MR 1321144
M. Kleinberg, Rowbottom cardinals and Jonsson cardinals are almost
the same, J. Symbolic Logic 38 (1973), 423–427.
0337616 (49 #2385)
M. Kleinberg, The equiconsistency of two large cardinal
axioms, Fund. Math. 102 (1979), no. 2,
B. Larson, The stationary tower, University Lecture Series,
vol. 32, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2004. Notes on
a course by W. Hugh Woodin. MR 2069032
Lévy and R.
M. Solovay, Measurable cardinals and the continuum hypothesis,
Israel J. Math. 5 (1967), 234–248. MR 0224458
Shelah, Cardinal arithmetic, Oxford Logic Guides,
vol. 29, The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New York, 1994.
Oxford Science Publications. MR 1318912
- A. Apter, J. D. Hamkins, ``Exactly Controlling the Non-Supercompact Strongly Compact Cardinals'', Journal of Symbolic Logic 68, 2003, 669-688. MR 1976597 (2004b:03075)
- A. Apter, J. Henle, ``Relative Consistency Results via Strong Compactness'', Fundamenta Mathematicae 139, 1991, 133-149. MR 1150596 (93h:03071)
- K. Devlin, ``Some Weak Versions of Large Cardinal Axioms'', Annals of Mathematical Logic 5, 1973, 291-325.MR 0363906 (51:161)
- J. Henle, ``Partition Properties and Prikry Forcing'', Journal of Symbolic Logic 55, 1990, 938-947.MR 1071307 (91k:03132)
- A. Kanamori, The Higher Infinite, Springer-Verlag Publishing Company, Berlin and New York, 1994. MR 1321144 (96k:03125)
- E. Kleinberg, ``Rowbottom Cardinals and Jonsson Cardinals are Almost the Same'', Journal of Symbolic Logic 38, 1973, 423-427. MR 0337616 (49:2385)
- E. Kleinberg, ``The Equiconsistency of Two Large Cardinal Axioms'', Fundamenta Mathematicae 102, 1979, 81-85. MR 0525930 (80d:03056)
- P. Larson, The Stationary Tower, University Lecture Series, vol. 32, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2004. MR 2069032
- A. Lévy, R. Solovay, ``Measurable Cardinals and the Continuum Hypothesis'', Israel Journal of Mathematics 5, 1967, 234-248.MR 0224458 (37:57)
- S. Shelah, Cardinal Arithmetic, Oxford Logic Guides 29, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1994.MR 1318912 (96e:03001)
Retrieve articles in Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (2000):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (2000):
Arthur W. Apter
Department of Mathematics, Baruch College of CUNY, New York, New York 10010
Group in Logic and the Methodology of Science, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720
strongly compact cardinal
Received by editor(s):
August 30, 2003
Received by editor(s) in revised form:
February 14, 2004, and June 15, 2004
May 4, 2005
Both authors wish to thank the CUNY Research Foundation for having provided partial support for this research via the first author’s PSC-CUNY Grant 64455-00-33, under which the second author was a research assistant. In addition, we wish to thank the referee and Carl Jockusch, the communicating editor, for helpful comments, corrections, and suggestions which have been incorporated into this version of the paper and which have considerably improved the presentation of the material contained herein.
Carl G. Jockusch, Jr.
© Copyright 2005
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.