Stanley depth and size of a monomial ideal
Authors: Jürgen Herzog, Dorin Popescu and Marius Vladoiu
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 140 (2012), 493-504
MSC (2010): Primary 13C15; Secondary 13P10, 13F55, 13F20
Published electronically: July 5, 2011
MathSciNet review: 2846317
Abstract: Lyubeznik introduced the concept of size of a monomial ideal and showed that the size of a monomial ideal increased by is a lower bound for its depth. We show that the size increased by is also a lower bound for its Stanley depth. Applying Alexander duality we obtain upper bounds for the regularity and Stanley regularity of squarefree monomial ideals.
- 1. Winfried Bruns and Jürgen Herzog, Cohen-Macaulay rings, Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, vol. 39, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993. MR 1251956
- 2. Mircea Cimpoeas, Some remarks on the Stanley depth for multigraded modules, Matematiche (Catania) 63 (2008), no. 2, 165–171 (2009). MR 2531658
- 3. Jürgen Herzog and Takayuki Hibi, Monomial ideals, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 260, Springer-Verlag London, Ltd., London, 2011. MR 2724673
- 4. Jürgen Herzog, Marius Vladoiu, and Xinxian Zheng, How to compute the Stanley depth of a monomial ideal, J. Algebra 322 (2009), no. 9, 3151–3169. MR 2567414, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalgebra.2008.01.006
- 5. Gennady Lyubeznik, On the arithmetical rank of monomial ideals, J. Algebra 112 (1988), no. 1, 86–89. MR 921965, https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8693(88)90133-0
- 6. A. Popescu, Special Stanley Decompositions. Bull. Math. Soc. Sci. Math. Roumanie 53 (101), 361-372 (2010).
- 7. D. Popescu, Stanley conjecture on intersections of four monomial prime ideals. arXiv.AC/1009.5646.
- 8. Asia Rauf, Depth and Stanley depth of multigraded modules, Comm. Algebra 38 (2010), no. 2, 773–784. MR 2598911, https://doi.org/10.1080/00927870902829056
- 9. Tim Römer, Generalized Alexander duality and applications, Osaka J. Math. 38 (2001), no. 2, 469–485. MR 1833633
- 10. Yi Huang Shen, Stanley depth of complete intersection monomial ideals and upper-discrete partitions, J. Algebra 321 (2009), no. 4, 1285–1292. MR 2489900, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalgebra.2008.11.010
- 11. Ali Soleyman Jahan, Prime filtrations and Stanley decompositions of squarefree modules and Alexander duality, Manuscripta Math. 130 (2009), no. 4, 533–550. MR 2563149, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00229-009-0308-x
- 12. Kohji Yanagawa, Alexander duality for Stanley-Reisner rings and squarefree 𝐍ⁿ-graded modules, J. Algebra 225 (2000), no. 2, 630–645. MR 1741555, https://doi.org/10.1006/jabr.1999.8130
- W. Bruns and J. Herzog, Cohen-Macaulay rings. Revised edition. Cambridge University Press (1998). MR 1251956 (95h:13020)
- M. Cimpoeaş, Some remarks on the Stanley depth for multigraded modules. Le Matematiche LXIII (2008), 165-171 (2009). MR 2531658 (2010d:13032)
- J. Herzog and T. Hibi, Monomial Ideals. Graduate Texts in Math. 260. Springer-Verlag, 2011. MR 2724673
- J. Herzog, M. Vladoiu and X. Zheng, How to compute the Stanley depth of a monomial ideal. J. Algebra 322, 3151-3169 (2009). MR 2567414 (2010k:13036)
- G. Lyubeznik, On the arithmetical rank of monomial ideals. J. Algebra 112, 86-89 (1988). MR 921965 (89b:13020)
- A. Popescu, Special Stanley Decompositions. Bull. Math. Soc. Sci. Math. Roumanie 53 (101), 361-372 (2010).
- D. Popescu, Stanley conjecture on intersections of four monomial prime ideals. arXiv.AC/1009.5646.
- A. Rauf, Depth and Stanley Depth of Multigraded Modules. Comm. in Algebra 38, 773-784 (2010). MR 2598911
- T. Römer, Generalized Alexander duality and applications. Osaka J. Math. 38, 469-485 (2001). MR 1833633 (2002c:13029)
- Y. Shen, Stanley depth of complete intersection monomial ideals and upper-discrete partitions. J. Algebra 321, 1285-1292 (2009). MR 2489900 (2009k:13044)
- A. Soleyman Jahan, Prime filtrations and Stanley decompositions of squarefree modules and Alexander duality. Manuscripta Math. 130, 533-550 (2009). MR 2563149 (2010j:13042)
- K. Yanagawa, Alexander duality for Stanley-Reisner rings and squarefree -graded modules. J. Algebra 225, 630-645 (2000). MR 1741555 (2000m:13036)
Affiliation: Fachbereich Mathematik, Universität Duisburg-Essen, Campus Essen, 45117 Essen, Germany
Affiliation: Institute of Mathematics “Simion Stoilow” of the Romanian Academy, University of Bucharest, P. O. Box 1-764, Bucharest 014700, Romania
Affiliation: Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Bucharest, Str. Academiei 14, Bucharest, RO-010014, Romania
Received by editor(s): November 30, 2010
Published electronically: July 5, 2011
Additional Notes: This paper was partially written during the visit of the first author at the Institute of Mathematics “Simion Stoilow” of the Romanian Academy supported by a BitDefender Invited Professor Scholarship, 2010
The second and third authors were partially supported by the CNCSIS grant PN II-542/2009, respectively CNCSIS grant TE$_46$ no. 83/2010, of the Romanian Ministry of Education, Research and Innovation. They also want to express their gratitude to ASSMS of GC University Lahore for creating a very appropriate atmosphere for research work.
Communicated by: Irena Peeva
Article copyright: © Copyright 2011 American Mathematical Society