On the Julia set of König's root-finding algorithms
Author: Gerardo Honorato
Journal: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 141 (2013), 3601-3607
MSC (2010): Primary 37F10, 30D05, 37F50; Secondary 65H04
Published electronically: July 1, 2013
MathSciNet review: 3080182
Abstract: As is well known, the Julia set of Newton's method applied to complex polynomials is connected. The family of König's root-finding algorithms is a natural generalization of Newton's method. We show that the Julia set of König's root-finding algorithms of order applied to complex polynomials is not always connected.
- 1. N. Argiropoulos, A. Böhm, and V. Drakopoulos, Julia and Mandelbrot-like sets for higher order König rational iteration functions, Fractal frontiers (Denver, CO, 1997) World Sci. Publ., River Edge, NJ, 1997, pp. 169–178. MR 1636268
- 2. Xavier Buff and Christian Henriksen, On König’s root-finding algorithms, Nonlinearity 16 (2003), no. 3, 989–1015. MR 1975793, https://doi.org/10.1088/0951-7715/16/3/312
- 3. John Hubbard, Dierk Schleicher, and Scott Sutherland, How to find all roots of complex polynomials by Newton’s method, Invent. Math. 146 (2001), no. 1, 1–33. MR 1859017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s002220100149
- 4. Sebastian Mayer and Dierk Schleicher, Immediate and virtual basins of Newton’s method for entire functions, Ann. Inst. Fourier (Grenoble) 56 (2006), no. 2, 325–336 (English, with English and French summaries). MR 2226018
- 5. H. Meier, On the connectedness of the Julia-set for rational functions, Preprint no. 4, RWTH Aachen, 1989.
- 6. Feliks Przytycki, Remarks on the simple connectedness of basins of sinks for iterations of rational maps, Dynamical systems and ergodic theory (Warsaw, 1986) Banach Center Publ., vol. 23, PWN, Warsaw, 1989, pp. 229–235. MR 1102717
- 7. Walter Rudin, Real and complex analysis, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York-Toronto, Ont.-London, 1966. MR 0210528
- 8. T. R. Scavo and J. B. Thoo, On the geometry of Halley’s method, Amer. Math. Monthly 102 (1995), no. 5, 417–426. MR 1327786, https://doi.org/10.2307/2975033
- 9. Joel L. Schiff, Normal families, Universitext, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993. MR 1211641
- 10. Mitsuhiro Shishikura, The connectivity of the Julia set and fixed points, Complex dynamics, A K Peters, Wellesley, MA, 2009, pp. 257–276. MR 2508260, https://doi.org/10.1201/b10617-9
- 11. Lei Tan, Branched coverings and cubic Newton maps, Fund. Math. 154 (1997), no. 3, 207–260. MR 1475866
- N. Argiropoulos, V. Drakopoulos and A. Böhm, Julia and Mandelbrot-like sets for higher order König rational iterative maps, Fractal Frontier, M. M. Novak and T. G. Dewey, eds., World Scientific, Singapore, 1997, 169-178. MR 1636268 (99g:30028)
- X. Buff and C. Henriksen, On K nig's root-finding algorithms, Nonlinearity, vol. 16, 2003, 989-1015. MR 1975793 (2004c:37086)
- J. Hubbard, D. Schleicher and S. Sutherland, How to find all roots of complex polynomials by Newton's method, Invent. Math., vol. 146, Number 1, 2001, 1-33. MR 1859017 (2002i:37059)
- S. Mayer and D. Schleicher, Immediate and virtual basins of Newton's method for entire functions, Ann. Inst. Fourier (Grenoble), vol. 56, no. 2, 2006, 325-336. MR 2226018 (2007b:30028)
- H. Meier, On the connectedness of the Julia-set for rational functions, Preprint no. 4, RWTH Aachen, 1989.
- F. Przytycki, Remarks on the simple connectedness of basins of sinks for iterations of rational maps, Dynamical Systems and Ergodic Theory, ed. by K. Krzyzewski, Polish Scientific Publishers (Warsawa), 1989, 229-235. MR 1102717 (92e:58180)
- W. Rudin, Real and complex analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966. MR 0210528 (35:1420)
- T. Scavo and J. Thoo, On the geometry of Halley's method, Amer. Math. Monthly, vol. 102, Number 5, 1995, 417-426. MR 1327786 (96f:01019)
- J. Schiff, Normal Families, Universitext, Springer Verlag, New York, 1993. MR 1211641 (94f:30046)
- M. Shishikura, Connectivity of the Julia set and fixed point, in Complex Dynamics: Families and Friends, D. Schleicher, ed., 257-276, A K Peters, Wellesley, MA, 2009. MR 2508260 (2010d:37093)
- L. Tan, Branched coverings and cubic Newton maps, Fund. Math., vol. 154, 1997, 207-260. MR 1475866 (2000e:37051)
Affiliation: Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada (IMPA), Estr. D. Castorina 110, 22460-320 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Keywords: Root--finding algorithms, complex dynamics
Received by editor(s): December 12, 2011
Received by editor(s) in revised form: January 5, 2012
Published electronically: July 1, 2013
Additional Notes: The author was supported in part by the Research Network on Low Dimensional Dynamics, PBCT ACT-17-CONICYT, FONDECYT 3120016, Chile and CNPq (The Brazilian National Research Council)
Dedicated: Dedicated to the memory of Sergio Plaza S.
Communicated by: Bryna Kra
Article copyright: © Copyright 2013 American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.