A method of variation for flow problems. II
Abstract: The method of variation of reference  is developed afresh in a slightly different manner which enables the main principle used in  to be derived directly and also makes the actual calculations much simpler. It is shown how a variety of problems concerning aerofoils possessing minimal properties may be reduced to the solution of integro-differential equations which determine the mapping of the aerofoil onto a circular region. It is briefly indicated how the method may be extended to three dimensional flows.
-  A. R. Manwell, A method of variation for flow problems. I, Quart. J. Math., Oxford Ser. 20 (1949), 166–189. MR 0031894
-  A. R. Manwell, Aerofoils of maximum thickness ratio for a given maximum pressure coefficient, Quart. J. Mech. Appl. Math. 1 (1948), 365–375. MR 0028150, https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmam/1.1.365
-  J. Hadamard, Leçons sur le calcul des variations, Tome 1, Livre 11 Ch. Vii p. 303.
-  Menahem Schiffer, A Method of Variation Within the Family of Simple Functions, Proc. London Math. Soc. S2-44, no. 6, 432. MR 1575335, https://doi.org/10.1112/plms/s2-44.6.432
- A. R. Manwell, A method of variation for flow problems--, Q.J.M. (Oxford) 20, 166-189 (1949). MR 0031894
- A. R. Manwell, Aerofoils of maximum thickness ratio, Q.J.M.A.M. 1, 365 (1948). MR 0028150
- J. Hadamard, Leçons sur le calcul des variations, Tome 1, Livre 11 Ch. Vii p. 303.
- M. Schiffer, A method of variation within the family of simple functions, Proc. L.M.S. (2) 44, 432 (1938). MR 1575335
Retrieve articles in Quarterly of Applied Mathematics with MSC: 76.1X
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 76.1X