Existence of turning points for the response diagram of the Poiseuille flow with prescribed flow-rate
Abstract: We study the stationary Poiseuille flow in a cylindrical channel of arbitrary cross-section with temperature dependent viscosity and internal dissipation. We assume the flow-rate given and the axial pressure gradient unknown. This leads to a non-local problem. We show the existence in the response diagram, the plane , of two turning points.
- 1. H. Beirão da Veiga, Time periodic solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations in unbounded cylindrical domains—Leray’s problem for periodic flows, Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal. 178 (2005), no. 3, 301–325. MR 2196495, 10.1007/s00205-005-0376-3
- 2. G. P. Galdi and A. M. Robertson, The relation between flow rate and axial pressure gradient for time-periodic Poiseuille flow in a pipe, J. Math. Fluid Mech. 7 (2005), no. suppl. 2, S215–S223. MR 2192849, 10.1007/s00021-005-0154-x
- 3. Giovanni P. Galdi, An introduction to the mathematical theory of the Navier-Stokes equations. Vol. I, Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy, vol. 38, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994. Linearized steady problems. MR 1284205
- 4. G. Cimatti, The Poiseuille solution with temperature dependent viscosity, Appl. Anal. 84 (2005), no. 5, 451–461. MR 2151274, 10.1080/00036810500047386
- H. Beirão Da Veiga, Time-Periodic Solutions of the Navier-Stokes Equations inUnbounded Cylindrical Domains - Leray's Problem for Periodic Flow, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 178 (2005) 301-325. MR 2196495 (2006k:35209)
- G. P. Galdi and A. M. Robertson, The Relation Between Flow Rate and Axial Pressure Gradient for Time-Periodic Poiseuille Flow in a Pipe, J. Math. Fluid. Mech. 7 (2005) 215-223. MR 2192849 (2006j:76038)
- G. P. Galdi, An Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of the Navier-Stokes Equations: Linearized Steady Problems, Revised Edition, Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy, Vol. 38, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1998. MR 1284205 (95i:35216a)
- G. Cimatti, The Poiseuille Solution with Temperature Dependent Viscosity, Applicable Analysis, Vol. 84 (2005) 451-461. MR 2151274 (2006a:35247)
Affiliation: Dipartimento di Matematica, Largo Bruno Pontecorvo 5, Pisa, Italy
Keywords: Poiseuille flow, temperature dependent viscosity, existence and uniqueness of solutions.
Received by editor(s): September 28, 2006
Published electronically: June 6, 2007
Article copyright: © Copyright 2007 Brown University
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.