On the integrability of Jacobi fields on minimal submanifolds
D. S. P. Leung
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 220 (1976), 185-194
Primary 53B25; Secondary 49F10, 35J50
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let M be a minimal submanifold of a Riemannian manifold. It is proved that every Jacobi field on M is locally the deformation vector field along M of some one-parameter families of minimal submanifolds. This fact follows from a theorem on nonlinear elliptic systems which is also proved in this paper. The related global problems are also discussed briefly.
Douglis, and L.
Nirenberg, Estimates near the boundary for solutions of elliptic
partial differential equations satisfying general boundary conditions.
II, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 17 (1964), 35–92. MR 0162050
Pfahler Eisenhart, Riemannian Geometry, Princeton University
Press, Princeton, N. J., 1949. 2d printing. MR 0035081
Frankel, Manifolds with positive curvature, Pacific J. Math.
11 (1961), 165–174. MR 0123272
S. P. Leung, Deformations of integrals of exterior
differential systems, Trans. Amer. Math.
Soc. 170 (1972),
333–358. MR 0314082
(47 #2634), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1972-0314082-6
Nirenberg, Lectures on linear partial differential equations,
American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 1973. Expository Lectures
from the CBMS Regional Conference held at the Texas Technological
University, Lubbock, Tex., May 22–26, 1972; Conference Board of the
Mathematical Sciences Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, No. 17. MR 0450755
T. Schwartz, Nonlinear functional analysis, Gordon and Breach
Science Publishers, New York-London-Paris, 1969. Notes by H. Fattorini, R.
Nirenberg and H. Porta, with an additional chapter by Hermann Karcher;
Notes on Mathematics and its Applications. MR 0433481
Simons, Minimal varieties in riemannian manifolds, Ann. of
Math. (2) 88 (1968), 62–105. MR 0233295
- S. Agmon, A. Douglis and L. Nirenberg, Estimates near the boundary for the solutions of elliptic differential equations satisfying general boundary conditions. II, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 17 (1964), 35-92. MR 28 #5252. MR 0162050 (28:5252)
- L. P. Eisenhart, Riemannian geometry, 2nd ed., Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N. J., 1949. MR 11, 687. MR 0035081 (11:687g)
- T. Frankel, Manifolds with positive curvature, Pacific J. Math. 11 (1961), 165-174. MR 23 #A600. MR 0123272 (23:A600)
- D. S. P. Leung, Deformations of integrals of exterior differential systems, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 170 (1972), 333-358. MR 47 #2634. MR 0314082 (47:2634)
- L. Nirenberg, Lectures on linear partial differential equations, Conf. Board Math. Sci. Regional Conf. Ser. in Math., no. 17, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1972. MR 0450755 (56:9048)
- J. T. Schwartz, Nonlinear functional analysis, Gordon and Breach, New York, 1969. MR 0433481 (55:6457)
- J. Simons, Minimal subvariety in Riemannian manifolds, Ann. of Math. (2) 88 (1968), 62-105. MR 38 #1617. MR 0233295 (38:1617)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
Strongly elliptic system,
© Copyright 1976
American Mathematical Society