The topological structure of -manifolds with effective torus actions. I
Author: Peter Sie Pao
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 227 (1977), 279-317
MSC: Primary 57E10
MathSciNet review: 0431231
Full-text PDF Free Access
Abstract: Torus actions on orientable 4-manifolds have been studied by F. Raymond and P. Orlik  and . The equivariant classification problem has been completely answered there. The problem then arose as to what can be said about the topological classification of these manifolds. Specifically, when are two manifolds homeomorphic if they are not equivariantly homeomorphic? In some cases this problem was answered in the above mentioned papers. For example, if the only nontrivial stability groups are finite cyclic, then the manifolds are essentially classified by their fundamental groups. In the presence of fixed points, a connected sum decomposition in terms of , and three families of elementary 4-manifolds, has been obtained (where m, n, , p, and q are integers). In addition, a stable homeomorphic relation for the manifolds and can also be found in . But the topological classification of R's, T's, and especially L's were still unsolved problems. Furthermore, the connected sum decomposition of a manifold with fixed points, even in the simply connected case, is not unique.
In this paper, we completely classify the manifolds with fixed points. For the manifolds R's and T's, the above mentioned stable homeomorphic relation is proved to be the topological classification. The manifolds form a very interesting family of 4-manifolds. They behave similarly to lens spaces. For example, the fundamental group of is finite cyclic of order n. And it is proved that and act identically on the second cohomology of their common universal covering space, ( copies), even though and are not homotopically equivalent for some 's. This family of manifolds is explicitly constructed and completely classified. In addition, a normal form is imposed on a connected sum decomposition mentioned above. These nromal forms are unique.
Most of the material of this paper appeared first in the author's doctoral dissertation. The author would like to thank his thesis advisor Professor F. Raymond for his help and encouragement.
-  Glen E. Bredon, Introduction to compact transformation groups, Academic Press, New York-London, 1972. Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 46. MR 0413144
-  P. E. Conner and Frank Raymond, Actions of compact Lie groups on aspherical manifolds, Topology of Manifolds (Proc. Inst., Univ. of Georgia, Athens, Ga., 1969), Markham, Chicago, Ill., 1970, pp. 227–264. MR 0271958
-  André Haefliger, Plongements différentiables de variétés dans variétés, Comment. Math. Helv. 36 (1961), 47–82 (French). MR 0145538, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02566892
-  A. G. Kuroš, Theory of groups, Vol. 2, 2nd ed., GITTL, Moscow, 1953; Chelsea, New York, 1956. MR 15, 501; 18, 188.
-  John Milnor, On simply connected 4-manifolds, Symposium internacional de topología algebraica International symposi um on algebraic topology, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and UNESCO, Mexico City, 1958, pp. 122–128. MR 0103472
-  John Milnor, A procedure for killing homotopy groups of differentiable manifolds., Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., Vol. III, American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I, 1961, pp. 39–55. MR 0130696
-  John W. Milnor and James D. Stasheff, Characteristic classes, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J.; University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, 1974. Annals of Mathematics Studies, No. 76. MR 0440554
-  Peter Orlik and Frank Raymond, Actions of the torus on 4-manifolds. I, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 152 (1970), 531–559. MR 0268911, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1970-0268911-3
-  Peter Orlik and Frank Raymond, Actions of the torus on 4-manifolds. II, Topology 13 (1974), 89–112. MR 0348779, https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-9383(74)90001-9
-  Frank Raymond, Classification of the actions of the circle on 3-manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 131 (1968), 51–78. MR 0219086, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1968-0219086-9
-  H. Cišang, Torus bundles over surfaces, Mat. Zametki 5 (1969), 569–576 (Russian). MR 0248835
- G. Bredon, Introduction to compact transformations groups, Academic Press, New York, 1972. MR 0413144 (54:1265)
- P. Conner and F. Raymond, Actions of compact Lie groups on aspherical manifolds, Topology of Manifolds (Proc. Inst., Univ. of Georgia, Athens, 1969), Markham, Chicago, 1970, pp. 227-264. MR 42 #6839. MR 0271958 (42:6839)
- A. Haefliger, Plongements différentiables de variétés dans variétés, Comment Math. Helv. 36 (1961), 47-82. MR 26 #3069. MR 0145538 (26:3069)
- A. G. Kuroš, Theory of groups, Vol. 2, 2nd ed., GITTL, Moscow, 1953; Chelsea, New York, 1956. MR 15, 501; 18, 188.
- J. Milnor, On simply connected 4-manifolds, Internat. Sympos. Algebraic Topology, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and UNESCO, Mexico City, 1958, pp. 122-128. MR 21 #2240. MR 0103472 (21:2240)
- -, A procedure for killing homotopy groups of differentiable manifolds, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., vol. 3, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1961, pp. 39-55. MR 24 #A556. MR 0130696 (24:A556)
- J. Milnor and J. Stasheff, Characteristic classes, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N.J., 1974. MR 0440554 (55:13428)
- P. Orlik and F. Raymond, Actions of the torus on 4-manifolds. I, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 152 (1970), 531-559. MR 42 #3808. MR 0268911 (42:3808)
- -, Actions of the torus on 4-manifolds. II, Topology 13 (1974), 89-112. MR 50 #1274. MR 0348779 (50:1274)
- F. Raymond, Classification of the actions of the circle on 3-manifolds, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 131 (1968), 51-78. MR 36 #2169. MR 0219086 (36:2169)
- H. Zieschang, On torus fiberings over surfaces, Mat. Zametki 5 (1969), 569-576 = Math. Notes 5 (1969), 341-345. MR 40 #2085. MR 0248835 (40:2085)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society with MSC: 57E10
Retrieve articles in all journals with MSC: 57E10