Variation of conformal spheres by simultaneous sewing along several arcs
T. L. McCoy
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 231 (1977), 65-82
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let M be a closed Riemann surface of genus zero, a tree on M with branches , and a point of . A family of neighboring topological surfaces is formed by regarding each as a slit with edges and , and re-identifying p on with on , with vanishing at the endpoints of . We assume the and are such that, under a certain natural choice of uniformizers, the are closed Riemann surfaces of genus zero. Then there exists a unique function mapping conformally onto the complex number sphere, with normalization . Under appropriate smoothness hypotheses on and the , we find the first variation of f as a function of . Further, we obtain smoothness results for f as a function of . The problem is connected with the study of the extremal schlicht functions; that is, the schlicht mappings of the unit disc corresponding to boundary points of the coefficient bodies.
Courant, Dirichlet’s Principle, Conformal Mapping, and
Minimal Surfaces, Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, N.Y., 1950.
Appendix by M. Schiffer. MR 0036317
I. Muskhelishvili, Singular integral equations,
Wolters-Noordhoff Publishing, Groningen, 1972. Boundary problems of
functions theory and their applications to mathematical physics; Revised
translation from the Russian, edited by J. R. M. Radok; Reprinted. MR 0355494
Nehari, Conformal mapping, McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New
York, Toronto, London, 1952. MR 0045823
C. Schaeffer and D.
C. Spencer, Coefficient Regions for Schlicht Functions,
American Mathematical Society Colloquium Publications, Vol. 35, American
Mathematical Society, New York, N. Y., 1950. With a Chapter on the Region
of the Derivative of a Schlicht Function by Arthur Grad. MR 0037908
Schiffer and Donald
C. Spencer, Functionals of finite Riemann surfaces, Princeton
University Press, Princeton, N. J., 1954. MR 0065652
Springer, Introduction to Riemann surfaces, Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company, Inc., Reading, Mass., 1957. MR 0092855
A. E. Taylor, Advanced calculus, Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass., 1955.
- R. Courant, Dirichlet's principle, conformal mapping, and minimal surfaces, Interscience, New York, 1950. MR 12, 90. MR 0036317 (12:90a)
- N. I. Mushelišvili, Singular integral equations. Boundary problems of function theory and their application to mathematical physics, OGIZ, Moscow, 1946; 2nd ed., Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1962; English transl., Noordhoff, Groningen, 1953. MR 8, 586; 15, 434. MR 0355494 (50:7968)
- Zeev Nehari, Conformal mapping, International Series, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1952. MR 13, 640. MR 0045823 (13:640h)
- A. C. Schaeffer and D. C. Spencer, Coefficient regions for schlicht functions, Amer. Math. Soc. Colloq. Publ., vol. 35, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1950. MR 12, 326. MR 0037908 (12:326c)
- M. M. Schiffer and D. C. Spencer, Functionals of finite Riemann surfaces, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N. J., 1954. MR 16, 461. MR 0065652 (16:461g)
- George Springer, Introduction to Riemann surfaces, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1957. MR 19, 1169. MR 0092855 (19:1169g)
- A. E. Taylor, Advanced calculus, Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass., 1955.
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1977
American Mathematical Society