Study of the permanent conjecture and some of its generalizations. II
O. S. Rothaus
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 232 (1977), 143-154
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: In this paper we investigate in a more systematic manner some of the topics initiated in part I of the paper with same title . More specifically, we study in greater detail the properties of the function defined in  attached to convex polytopes, whose properties in the special case of the space of doubly stochastic matrices are connected with the permanent conjecture. Some close links with Perron-Frobenius theory are developed, and we obtain as a by-product of our study what is, I believe, a new expression for the maximum eigenvalue of a nonnegative matrix, which leads to some new estimates of the same. A final section of the paper investigates some purely algebraic properties of , and we obtain some very interesting information connecting a doubly stochastic matrix and its transversals.
In order to keep this paper as self-contained as possible, facts used here drawn from part I are stated with as much explicit detail as possible.
L. Adler and Benjamin
Weiss, Similarity of automorphisms of the torus, Memoirs of
the American Mathematical Society, No. 98, American Mathematical Society,
Providence, R.I., 1970. MR 0257315
R. Gantmaher, Teoriya matric, Gosudarstv. Izdat. Tehn.-Teor.
Lit., Moscow, 1953 (Russian). MR 0065520
Parry, Intrinsic Markov chains, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 112 (1964), 55–66. MR 0161372
(28 #4579), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1964-0161372-1
Letac, A unified treatment of some theorems
on positive matrices, Proc. Amer. Math.
Soc. 43 (1974),
0338037 (49 #2804), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-1974-0338037-8
S. Rothaus, Study of the permanent conjecture and some of its
generalizations, Israel J. Math. 18 (1974),
0371920 (51 #8137)
- R. Adler and B. Weiss, Similarity of automorphisms of the torus, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. No. 98 (1970). MR 41 #1966. MR 0257315 (41:1966)
- F. R. Gantmaher, The theory of matrices, Vol. I, GITTL, Moscow, 1953; English transl., Chelsea, New York, 1959. MR 21 #6372c. MR 0065520 (16:438l)
- W. Parry, Intrinsic Markov chains, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 112 (1964), 55-66. MR 28 #4579. MR 0161372 (28:4579)
- G. Letac, A unified treatment of some theorems on positive matrices, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 43 (1974), 11-17. MR 49 #2804. MR 0338037 (49:2804)
- O. Rothaus, Study of the permanent conjecture and some of its generalizations, Israel J. Math. 18 (1974), 75-96. MR 51 #8137. MR 0371920 (51:8137)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1977
American Mathematical Society