The theorem of Torelli for singular curves
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 239 (1978), 123-146
Primary 14H15; Secondary 14K30
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: Let C be a compact (singular) curve embedded in a surface. Then C carries a canonical sheaf which is locally free of rank 1. Moreover, C has a generalized Jacobian J which fits in an exact sequence
| || ()|
of algebraic groups such that A is an abelian variety and . Let be the set of nonsingular points of C and let = Zariski-closure of the image of in J. Then:
Theorem. If C is irreducible and sections of map C onto X in then the isomorphism class of J together with the translation class of the divisor on J determine the isomorphism class of X.
As a corollary, if is an isomorphism (in which case we call C nonhyperelliptic) the above data determine the isomorphism class of C. I do not know if this remains true when C is hyperelliptic.
It should be noted that the linear equivalence class of is not enough to determine X.
The principal idea of the proof is that of Andreotti, that is, to recover the curve as the dual of the branch locus of the Gauss map from to ; however our arguments are usually analytic.
The organization of this paper is as follows: In §1 we prove a stronger than usual version of Abel's theorem for Riemann surfaces and in §2 we extend this theorem to apply to singular curves. In succeeding sections we construct the generalized Jacobian as a complex Lie group J and embed J in an analytic fibre bundle over A with projective spaces as fibre. This we use to endow J with the structure of an algebraic group. §7 contains a miscellany of facts about branch loci and dual varieties, and in §8 the main theorems are stated and proved.
We should mention here that the variations on Abel's theorem proved in this paper (1.2.4 and 3.0.1) were proved by Severi, at least in the special case corresponding to ordinary double points .
Andreotti, On a theorem of Torelli, Amer. J. Math.
80 (1958), 801–828. MR 0102518
C. Gunning, Lectures on Riemann surfaces, Jacobi varieties,
Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J., 1972. Mathematical Notes, No.
0357407 (50 #9875)
Kodaira, On compact complex analytic surfaces. I, Ann. of
Math. (2) 71 (1960), 111–152. MR 0132556
Kodaira, On Kähler varieties of restricted type (an intrinsic
characterization of algebraic varieties), Ann. of Math. (2)
60 (1954), 28–48. MR 0068871
H. Martens, On the varieties of special divisors on a curve,
J. Reine Angew. Math. 227 (1967), 111–120. MR 0215847
L. Mayer, Special divisors and the Jacobian variety, Math.
Ann. 153 (1964), 163–167. MR 0164969
Narasimhan, Introduction to the theory of analytic spaces,
Lecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 25, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1966. MR 0217337
Rosenlicht, Generalized Jacobian varieties, Ann. of Math. (2)
59 (1954), 505–530. MR 0061422
Saint-Donat, On Petri’s analysis of the linear system of
quadrics through a canonical curve, Math. Ann. 206
(1973), 157–175. MR 0337983
Serre, Géométrie algébrique et
géométrie analytique, Ann. Inst. Fourier, Grenoble
6 (1955–1956), 1–42 (French). MR 0082175
Serre, Groupes algébriques et corps de classes,
Publications de l’institut de mathématique de
l’université de Nancago, VII. Hermann, Paris, 1959 (French).
0103191 (21 #1973)
Severi, Funzioni quasi abeliane, Pontificiae Academiae
Scientiarum Scripta Varia, v. 4, Publisher unknown, Vatican City, 1947
- A. Andreotti, On a theorem of Torelli, Amer. J. Math. 80 (1958), 801-827. MR 0102518 (21:1309)
- R. C. Gunning, Lectures on Riemann surfaces, Jacobi varieties, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N. J., 1972. MR 0357407 (50:9875)
- K. Kodaira, On compact complex analytic surfaces. I, Ann. of Math. (2) 71 (1962), 111-152. MR 0132556 (24:A2396)
- -, On Kähler varieties of restricted types, Ann. of Math. 60 (1954), 28-48. MR 0068871 (16:952b)
- H. H. Martens, On the varieties of special divisors on a curve, J. Reine Angew. Math. 227 (1967), 111-120. MR 0215847 (35:6682)
- A. Mayer, Special divisors and the Jacobian variety, Math. Ann. 153 (1964), 163-167. MR 0164969 (29:2260)
- R. Narasimhan, Introduction to the theory of analytic spaces, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1966, 132 pp. MR 0217337 (36:428)
- M. Rosenlicht, Generalized Jacobian varieties, Ann. of Math. (2) 59 (1954), 505-530. MR 0061422 (15:823b)
- B. Saint-Donat, On Petri's analysis of the linear system of quadrics through a canonical curve, Math. Ann. 206 (1973), 156-175. MR 0337983 (49:2752)
- J.-P. Serre, Géométrie algébrique et géométrie analytique, Ann. Inst. Fourier (Grenoble) 6 (1955-1956), 1-42. MR 0082175 (18:511a)
- -, Groupes algébriques et corps de classes, Hermann, Paris, 1959. MR 0103191 (21:1973)
- F. Severi, Funzioni quasi-abeliane, Vatican, 1947. MR 0024985 (9:578a)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1978 American Mathematical Society