Weak cuts of combinatorial geometries
Hien Q. Nguyen
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 250 (1979), 247-262
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: A weak cut of a Combinatorial Geometry G is a generalization of a modular cut, corresponding to the family of the new dependent sets in a weak map image of G.
The use of weak cuts allows the construction of all weak images of G, an important result being that, to any family of independent sets of G, is associated a unique weak cut containing . In practice, the flats of the weak image defined by can be constructed directly. The weak cuts corresponding to known weak maps, such as truncation, projection, elementary quotient, are determined.
The notion of weak cut is particularly useful in the study of erections. Given a geometry F and a weak image G, an F-erection of G is an erection of G which is a weak image of F. The main results are that the set of all F-erections of G is a lattice with the weak map order, and that the free F-erection can be constructed explicitly. Finally, a problem involving higher order erection is solved.
H. Crapo, Single-element extensions of matroids, J. Res. Nat.
Bur. Standards Sect. B 69B (1965), 55–65. MR 0190045
H. Crapo, Erecting geometries, Proc. Second Chapel Hill Conf.
on Combinatorial Mathematics and its Applications (Univ. North Carolina,
Chapel Hill, N.C., 1970) Univ. North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C., 1970,
pp. 74–99. MR 0272655
H. Crapo and Gian-Carlo
Rota, On the foundations of combinatorial theory: Combinatorial
geometries, Preliminary edition, The M.I.T. Press, Cambridge,
Mass.-London, 1970. MR 0290980
A. Dowling and Douglas
G. Kelly, Elementary strong maps between combinatorial
geometries, Colloquio Internazionale sulle Teorie Combinatorie (Roma,
1973) Accad. Naz. Lincei, Rome, 1976, pp. 121–152. Atti dei
Convegni Lincei, No. 17 (English, with Italian summary). MR 0543658
D. A. Higgs, A lattice order on the set of all matroids on a set, Canad. Math. Bull. 9 (1966), 684-685.
A. Higgs, Strong maps of geometries, J. Combinatorial Theory
5 (1968), 185–191. MR 0231761
E. Knuth, Random matroids, Discrete Math. 12
(1975), no. 4, 341–358. MR 0406837
Las Vergnas, On certain constructions for matroids,
Proceedings of the Fifth British Combinatorial Conference (Univ. Aberdeen,
Aberdeen, 1975) Utilitas Math., Winnipeg, Man., 1976,
pp. 395–404. Congressus Numerantium, No. XV. MR 0416956
Lucas, Weak maps of combinatorial
geometries, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 206 (1975), 247–279. MR 0371693
(51 #7911), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1975-0371693-2
H. Q. Nguyen, Constructing the free erection of a combinatorial geometry, J. Combinatorial Theory Ser. B (to appear).
Q. Nguyen, Projections and weak maps in combinatorial
geometries, Discrete Math. 24 (1978), no. 3,
523318 (80a:05060), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0012-365X(78)90099-7
- H. H. Crapo, Single element extensions of matroids, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Standards Sect. B 69 (1965), 55-65. MR 0190045 (32:7461)
- -, Erecting geometries, Proc. of the 2nd Chapel Hill Conference on Comb. Math. and Applications, Chapel Hill, 1970, 74-99. MR 0272655 (42:7536)
- H. H. Crapo and G. C. Rota, Combinatorial geometries, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1970. MR 0290980 (45:74)
- T. A. Dowling and D. G. Kelly, Elementary strong maps between combinatorial geometries, Colloquio Internazionale sulle Teorie Combinatorie (Rome, 1973), Tomo II, Atti. Convegni Lincei, no. 17, Accad. Naz. Lincei, Rome, 1976, pp. 121-152. MR 0543658 (58:27567)
- D. A. Higgs, A lattice order on the set of all matroids on a set, Canad. Math. Bull. 9 (1966), 684-685.
- -, Strong maps of geometries, J. Combinatorial Theory. Ser. 5 (1968), 185-191. MR 0231761 (38:89)
- D. E. Knuth, Random matroids, Discrete Math. 12 (1975), 341-358. MR 0406837 (53:10623)
- M. Las Vergnas, On certain constructions for matroids, Proc. of the 5th British Combinatorial, 1975, pp. 395-404. MR 0416956 (54:5018)
- D. Lucas, Weak maps of combinatorial geometries, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 206 (1975), 247-279. MR 0371693 (51:7911)
- H. Q. Nguyen, Constructing the free erection of a combinatorial geometry, J. Combinatorial Theory Ser. B (to appear).
- -, Projections and weak maps in combinatorial geometries, Research Notes No. 4, Department of Mathematics, University of Montana, April 1977; Discrete Math. (to appear). MR 523318 (80a:05060)
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1979
American Mathematical Society