Brownian motions of ellipsoids
Authors: J. R. Norris, L. C. G. Rogers and David Williams
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 294 (1986), 757-765
MSC: Primary 60J60; Secondary 58G32, 60J65
MathSciNet review: 825735
Abstract: The object of this paper is to provide an elementary treatment (involving no differential geometry) of Brownian motions of ellipsoids, and, in particular, of some remarkable results first obtained by Dynkin.
The canonical right-invariant Brownian motion on induces processes and on the space of positive-definite symmetric matrices. The motion of the common eigenvalues of and is analysed. It is further shown that the orthonormal frame of eigenvectors of ultimately behaves like Brownian motion on , while that of converges to a limiting value.
The process is that studied by Dynkin and Orihara. From a naive standpoint, the process would seem to provide a more natural model.
-  E. B. Dynkin, Non-negative eigenfunctions of the Laplace-Beltrami operator and Brownian motion in certain symmetric spaces, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 141 (1961), 288–291 (Russian). MR 0132607
-  Freeman J. Dyson, A Brownian-motion model for the eigenvalues of a random matrix, J. Mathematical Phys. 3 (1962), 1191–1198. MR 0148397, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1703862
-  Nobuyuki Ikeda and Shinzo Watanabe, Stochastic differential equations and diffusion processes, 2nd ed., North-Holland Mathematical Library, vol. 24, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam; Kodansha, Ltd., Tokyo, 1989. MR 1011252
-  H. P. McKean Jr., Stochastic integrals, Probability and Mathematical Statistics, No. 5, Academic Press, New York-London, 1969. MR 0247684
-  Akio Orihara, On random ellipsoid, J. Fac. Sci. Univ. Tokyo Sect. I 17 (1970), 73–85. MR 0275489
- E. B. Dynkin, Non-negative eigenfunctions of the Laplace-Beltrami operator and Brownian motion in certain symmetric spaces, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 141 (1961), 1433-1436. MR 0132607 (24:A2447)
- F. J. Dyson, A Brownian-motion model for the eigenvalues of a random matrix, J. Math. Phys. 3 (1962), 1191-1198. MR 0148397 (26:5904)
- N. Ikeda and S. Watanabe, Stochastic differential equations and diffusion processes, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1981. MR 1011252 (90m:60069)
- H. P. McKean, Stochastic integrals, Academic Press, New York and London, 1969. MR 0247684 (40:947)
- A. Orihara, On random ellipsoid, J. Fac. Sci. Univ. Tokyo Sect. IA Math. 17 (1970), 73-85. MR 0275489 (43:1243)
Keywords: Brownian motions of ellipsoids, eigenvalues, eigenvectors, positivedefinite symmetric matrices, orthogonal group, Stratonovich differential, Itô's formula
Article copyright: © Copyright 1986 American Mathematical Society