Classifying sets of measure zero with respect to their open covers
Authors: Winfried Just and Claude Laflamme
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 321 (1990), 621-645
MSC: Primary 28A05; Secondary 03E05, 03E35, 04A20
MathSciNet review: 967315
Abstract: Developing ideas of Borel and Fréchet, we define a partial preorder which classifies measure zero sets of reals according to their open covers and study the induced partial order on the equivalence classes. The more "rarefied" a set of measure zero, the higher it will range in our partial order. Main results: The sets of strong measure zero form one equivalence class that is the maximum element of our order. There is a second highest class that contains all uncountable closed sets of measure zero. There is a minimum class that contains all dense -subsets of the real line of measure zero. There exist at least four classes, and if Martin's axiom holds, then there are as many classes as subsets of the real line. It is also consistent with ZFC that there is a second lowest class.
- [B] Émile Borel, Éléments de la Théorie des Ensembles, Éditions Albin Michel, Paris, 1949 (French). MR 0031024
- [Bl] Andreas Blass, Applications of superperfect forcing and its relatives, Set theory and its applications (Toronto, ON, 1987) Lecture Notes in Math., vol. 1401, Springer, Berlin, 1989, pp. 18–40. MR 1031763, https://doi.org/10.1007/BFb0097329
- [Bs] Andreas Blass, Near coherence of filters. II. Applications to operator ideals, the Stone-Čech remainder of a half-line, order ideals of sequences, and slenderness of groups, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 300 (1987), no. 2, 557–581. MR 876466, https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9947-1987-0876466-8
- [BL] Andreas Blass and Claude Laflamme, Consistency results about filters and the number of inequivalent growth types, J. Symbolic Logic 54 (1989), no. 1, 50–56. MR 987321, https://doi.org/10.2307/2275014
- [CN] W. W. Comfort and S. Negrepontis, The theory of ultrafilters, Springer-Verlag, New York-Heidelberg, 1974. Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 211. MR 0396267
- [F] Maurice Fréchet, Les probabilités nulles et la raréfaction, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (3) 80 (1963), 139–172 (French). MR 0162251
- [Lf] C. Laflamme, Sur la raréfaction des ensembles de mesure nulle, preprint, University of Toronto.
- [O] John C. Oxtoby, Measure and category, 2nd ed., Graduate Texts in Mathematics, vol. 2, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1980. A survey of the analogies between topological and measure spaces. MR 584443
- E. Borel, Eléments de la théorie des ensembles, Editions Albin Michel, Paris, 1949. MR 0031024 (11:88c)
- A. Blass, Applications of superperfect forcing and its relatives, Proceedings of the Set Theory Conference, York University, 1987 (to appear). MR 1031763 (91b:03081)
- -, Near coherence of filters. II, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 300 (1987), 557-581. MR 876466 (88d:03094b)
- A. Blass and C. Laflamme, Consistency results about filters and the number of equivalent growth types, to appear. MR 987321 (90a:03076)
- W. Comfort and S. Negrepontis, The theory of ultrafilters, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1974. MR 0396267 (53:135)
- M. Fréchet, Les probabilités nulles et la raréfaction, Ann. Sci. École Norm. Sup. (3) 80 (1963), 139-172. MR 0162251 (28:5450)
- C. Laflamme, Sur la raréfaction des ensembles de mesure nulle, preprint, University of Toronto.
- J. Oxtoby, Measure and category, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1971. MR 584443 (81j:28003)