On nonlinear delay differential equations
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 344 (1994), 441-477
Primary 34K05; Secondary 34K20, 34K25
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: We examine qualitative behaviour of delay differential equations of the form where h is a given function and . We commence by investigating existence of periodic solutions in the case of , where f is an analytic function and p a polynomial. In that case we prove that, unless q is a rational number of a fairly simple form, no nonconstant periodic solutions exist. In particular, in the special case when f is a linear function, we rule out periodicity except for the case when . If, in addition, p is a quadratic or a quartic, we show that this result is the best possible and that a nonconstant periodic solution exists for or , respectively. Provided that g is a bivariate polynomial, we investigate solutions of the delay differential equation by expanding them into Dirichlet series. Coefficients and arguments of these series are derived by means of a recurrence relation and their index set is isomorphic to a subset of planar graphs. Convergence results for these Dirichlet series rely heavily upon the derivation of generating functions of such graphs, counted with respect to certain recursively-defined functionals. We prove existence and convergence of Dirichlet series under different general conditions, thereby deducing much useful information about global behaviour of the solution.
Berge, The theory of graphs and its applications, Translated
by Alison Doig, Methuen & Co. Ltd., London; John Wiley & Sons Inc.,
New York, 1962. MR 0132541
Harary, Graph theory, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading,
Mass.-Menlo Park, Calif.-London, 1969. MR 0256911
G. H. Hardy and M. Riesz, The general theory of Dirichlet's series, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1915.
Iserles, On the generalized pantograph functional-differential
equation, European J. Appl. Math. 4 (1993),
no. 1, 1–38. MR 1208418
Kato and J.
B. McLeod, The functional-differential equation
Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 77 (1971), 891–937. MR 0283338
(44 #570), http://dx.doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9904-1971-12805-7
T. W. Körner, Fourier analysis, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1988.
- C. Berge, The theory of graphs and its applications, Wiley, New York, 1962. MR 0132541 (24:A2381)
- F. Harary, Graph theory, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969. MR 0256911 (41:1566)
- G. H. Hardy and M. Riesz, The general theory of Dirichlet's series, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1915.
- A. Iserles, On the generalized pantograph functional-differential equation, European J. Appl. Math. 4 (1992), 1-38. MR 1208418 (94f:34127)
- T. Kato and J. B. McLeod, The functional-differential equation , Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 77 (1971), 891-937. MR 0283338 (44:570)
- T. W. Körner, Fourier analysis, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1988.
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
Retrieve articles in all journals
© Copyright 1994
American Mathematical Society