Standard Lyndon bases of Lie algebras and enveloping algebras
Authors: Pierre Lalonde and Arun Ram
Journal: Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 347 (1995), 1821-1830
MSC: Primary 17B35; Secondary 16S30, 17B01
MathSciNet review: 1273505
Abstract: It is well known that the standard bracketings of Lyndon words in an alphabet form a basis for the free Lie algebra generated by . Suppose that is a Lie algebra given by a generating set and a Lie ideal of relations. Using a Gröbner basis type approach we define a set of "standard" Lyndon words, a subset of the set Lyndon words, such that the standard bracketings of these words form a basis of the Lie algebra . We show that a similar approach to the universal enveloping algebra naturally leads to a Poincaré-Birkhoff-Witt type basis of the enveloping algebra of . We prove that the standard words satisfy the property that any factor of a standard word is again standard. Given root tables, this property is nearly sufficient to determine the standard Lyndon words for the complex finite-dimensional simple Lie algebras. We give an inductive procedure for computing the standard Lyndon words and give a complete list of the standard Lyndon words for the complex finite-dimensional simple Lie algebras. These results were announced in [LR].
- [Bou] Nicolas Bourbaki, Lie groups and Lie algebras. Chapters 1–3, Elements of Mathematics (Berlin), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989. Translated from the French; Reprint of the 1975 edition. MR 979493
- [Bou2] James E. Humphreys, Introduction to Lie algebras and representation theory, Springer-Verlag, New York-Berlin, 1972. Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 9. MR 0323842
- [LR] P. Lalonde and A. Ram, Standard Lyndon bases of Lie algebras and enveloping algebras, extended abstract, Posters and Software Demonstrations, Proc. 5th Conf. Formal Power Series and Algebraic Combinatorics, Florence, 1993, pp. 99-104.
- [Lo] M. Lothaire, Combinatorics on words, Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 17, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, Mass., 1983. A collective work by Dominique Perrin, Jean Berstel, Christian Choffrut, Robert Cori, Dominique Foata, Jean Eric Pin, Guiseppe Pirillo, Christophe Reutenauer, Marcel-P. Schützenberger, Jacques Sakarovitch and Imre Simon; With a foreword by Roger Lyndon; Edited and with a preface by Perrin. MR 675953
- [Re] Christophe Reutenauer, Free Lie algebras, London Mathematical Society Monographs. New Series, vol. 7, The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New York, 1993. Oxford Science Publications. MR 1231799
- N. Bourbaki, Lie groups and Lie algebras, Chapitres 1-3, Springer-Verlag, New York and Berlin, 1989. MR 979493 (89k:17001)
- -, Groupes et algèbres de Lie, Chapitres 4-6, Masson, Paris, 1981. [Hu] J. Humphreys, Introduction to Lie algebras and representation theory, Graduate Texts in Math., vol. 40, Springer-Verlag, New York and Berlin, 1972. MR 0323842 (48:2197)
- P. Lalonde and A. Ram, Standard Lyndon bases of Lie algebras and enveloping algebras, extended abstract, Posters and Software Demonstrations, Proc. 5th Conf. Formal Power Series and Algebraic Combinatorics, Florence, 1993, pp. 99-104.
- M. Lothaire, Combinatorics on words, Encyclopedia of Math., vol. 17, Addison-Wesley, 1983. MR 675953 (84g:05002)
- C. Reutenauer, Free Lie algebras, London Math. Soc. Monos. (N.S.), No. 7, Oxford Univ. Press, 1993. MR 1231799 (94j:17002)
Keywords: Lie algebras, Lyndon words, Serre relations, Gröbner bases
Article copyright: © Copyright 1995 American Mathematical Society