Wandering vectors for
irrational rotation unitary systems
Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 350 (1998), 309-320
Primary 46N99, 47N40, 47N99
Full-text PDF Free Access
Similar Articles |
Abstract: An abstract characterization for those irrational rotation unitary systems with complete wandering subspaces is given. We prove that an irrational rotation unitary system has a complete wandering vector if and only if the von Neumann algebra generated by the unitary system is finite and shares a cyclic vector with its commutant. We solve a factorization problem of Dai and Larson negatively for wandering vector multipliers, and strengthen this by showing that for an irrational rotation unitary system , every unitary operator in is a wandering vector multiplier. Moreover, we show that there is a class of wandering vector multipliers, induced in a natural way by pairs of characters of the integer group , which fail to factor even as the product of a unitary in and a unitary in . Incomplete maximal wandering subspaces are also considered, and some questions are raised.
Blackadar, 𝐾-theory for operator algebras,
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute Publications, vol. 5,
Springer-Verlag, New York, 1986. MR 859867
X. Dai and D.R. Larson, Wandering vectors for unitary systems and orthogonal wavelets, Memoirs A.M.S, to appear.
Dixmier, von Neumann algebras, North-Holland Mathematical
Library, vol. 27, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam-New York,
1981. With a preface by E. C. Lance; Translated from the second French
edition by F. Jellett. MR 641217
Haagerup and Mikael
Rørdam, Perturbations of the rotation 𝐶*-algebras
and of the Heisenberg commutation relation, Duke Math. J.
77 (1995), no. 3, 627–656. MR 1324637
D. Han and V. Kamat, Operators and multiwaveles, preprint.
V. Kadison, Representations of matricial operator algebras,
Operator algebras and group representations, Vol. II (Neptun, 1980),
Monogr. Stud. Math., vol. 18, Pitman, Boston, MA, 1984,
pp. 1–22. MR 733299
V. Kadison and John
R. Ringrose, Fundamentals of the theory of operator algebras. Vol.
II, Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 100, Academic Press, Inc.,
Orlando, FL, 1986. Advanced theory. MR 859186
W. S. Li, J. E. McCarthy and D. Timotin, A note on wavelets for unitary systems, preprint.
Pimsner and D.
Voiculescu, Imbedding the irrational rotation 𝐶*-algebra
into an AF-algebra, J. Operator Theory 4 (1980),
no. 2, 201–210. MR 595412
A. Rieffel, 𝐶*-algebras associated with irrational
rotations, Pacific J. Math. 93 (1981), no. 2,
- B. Blackadar, K-Theory for Operator Algebras, Springer-Verlag, 1986. MR 88g:46082
- X. Dai and D.R. Larson, Wandering vectors for unitary systems and orthogonal wavelets, Memoirs A.M.S, to appear.
- J. Dixmier, Von Neumann algebras, North-Holland Pub. Comp., 1981. MR 83a:46004
- U. Haagerup and M. Rordam, Perturbations of the rotation C*-algebras and of the Heisenberg commutation relations, Duke Math. J. 77 (1995), 627-656. MR 96e:46073
- D. Han and V. Kamat, Operators and multiwaveles, preprint.
- R. V. Kadison, Representations of matricial operator algebras, Proc. Neptun Conf. on Op. Alg. and Group Rep. (1980), Pitman, 1984, Vol. 2, pp. 1-22. MR 85f:46104
- R.V. Kadison and J.R. Ringrose, Fundamentals of the Theory of Operator Algebras, vol. II, Academic Press, 1986. MR 88d:46106
- W. S. Li, J. E. McCarthy and D. Timotin, A note on wavelets for unitary systems, preprint.
- M. Pimsner and D. Voiculescu, Imbedding the irrational rotation C*-algebra into an AF algebra, J. Op. Theory 4 (1980), 201-210. MR 82d:46086
- M.A. Rieffel, C*-algebras associated with irrational rotations, Pac. J. Math 93 (1981), 415-429. MR 83b:46087
Retrieve articles in Transactions of the American Mathematical Society
with MSC (1991):
Retrieve articles in all journals
with MSC (1991):
Department of Mathematics, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843
Address at time of publication:
Department of Mathematics, Qufu Normal University, Shandong, 273165 P.R. China
Irrational rotation unitary system,
wandering vector and subspace
Received by editor(s):
March 11, 1996
© Copyright 1998
American Mathematical Society