| Departmental Administrators (Group Managers) FAQ's
| Creating/Renewing Account
- How does my department register for Mathjobs?
- ONE PERSON registers and then is responsible to sign up additional users/members from the department. From the Mathjobs main page, select New Employer from the top menu bar. Complete the Employer Request Form and submit. It could take one or two business days for your account to be approved. Once the account is approved, a notification email will be sent to the Admin Email address you submitted with an access code and the instructions on how you can begin using your account. Make a note of the password entered in the account request screen, since it will be needed to re-enter the account. The annual fee is normally paid online by credit card when you receive the confirmation email. Other payment methods are available - contact us for assistance.
- How do we renew our Mathjobs.org account?
- To renew your registration, log onto Mathjobs, click Config on the top menu. On that screen, you'll see "Your group account expires in __ days with __ job slots left, click here to renew" near the top. Click on the HERE button to select the number of job slots you wish to purchase and then proceed to payment.
- You can also click on Admin then Renewal to select the number of job slots you wish to purchase and proceed to payment.
| Setting passwords and access permissions
How do I let other faculty and staff get into Mathjobs?
Click on the small "new" at the top of the page. Enter their email address and select the appropriate login type. Click on SUBMIT and the system will send a password to that email address, which will be their login.
As group manager, you can provide access for your department faculty so they can review all job applications to your job postings by adding them as faculty members on your account. You can also add other group managers to your account.
To add a new person to your account, go to Admin then Members.
To reset a password, go to Admin then Members and click on the UiD number in front of their email address. Click on the double green arrows to have the system assign a random password and then hit SUBMIT and the password will be emailed to them.
- NEVER share your identity with a colleague; each user must have their own login. The original group manager can create all other group manager and faculty identities. Remember that group managers and faculty have different choices and utilities in Mathjobs. Any group manager can use the "AsFac" link on the Admin menu to switch to faculty mode.
- Can I limit which applications a faculty member can see?
- Yes, it is possible to limit access to job applications by some or all of your faculty. Go to the following:
This will provide you with all the information you need to set access permissions for faculty access to job applications. Full access is the default already set in your account. If all faculty in your faculty box should have unlimited access, please do not use the limit access screens.
| Job Postings
NEVER edit an old posting to use it again in the current year, because this will keep all of the old applicants in place. Instead, you can DUPLICATE an old listing to create a new job listing. Be sure to edit the new posting, including the dates.
Note there are several date boxes on each job screen:
- List this job display dates shows the dates between which you want this job to be visible to applicants. This controls when the ad is seen publicly.
- Deadline shows the last date a new application should be submitted through Mathjobs (plus a box right there which you should only check if you DO NOT want late applications).
NEVER ASK FOR THE COVER SHEET because that is already included in every applicant account. You will always see the cover sheet each time you click on an applicant name.
- How do I post a job?
- Go to Admin then NewJob and complete the template. Note that there is a section on your Config screen where certain questions can be set up for ALL of your job listings. Use the question section on the job screen for questions that only apply to that job.
- How do I edit a job posting?
- Log in as a group manager and go to JOBS. Next to each job is an EDIT button. That takes you to the job entry screen. Make any changes, and submit.
- How do I change my job listing and/or job deadline date?
- Go to Jobs, and click the edit button for that job. Then scroll down to either List this job or Deadline, change the date(s) and hit submit.
- Why is my job posting halted?
- There is a box near the List this Job Display dates that says "Enter a message below to halt accepting new applications temporarily." If there is accidentally any text in that box, it will halt your application process. Remove that text and place it in the job description box or elsewhere. If there is an optional message you wish to display to applicants if you are temporarily halting the acceptance of new applications, you would add text here. What you type in will be read as HTML text. Please use this box only in an emergency!
- Can I send email to all the applicants who have applied for a job all at once?
- Yes, go to Admin then Email (you must be logged in as a group manager). In the Query section of that screen, select the appropriate criteria. After selecting the recipients, type in your message and send. Separate emails are sent to each applicant. Previously sent messages are saved at the bottom of the screen.
- How do I get all applicants to answer a question when applying?
- Use the "Ask Applicants this question" boxes on the Config screen. Be sure to check mark them to make them appear on the application. A question suitable for one job only should be asked on the job entry screen.
- How do I use the Required Material box?
- First of all, remember that the text of your ad is the place to notify applicants about your requirements. The boxes in Required Materials should only be used for separate documents that need to be individually entered into Mathjobs. It would be inappropriate to enter an item such as "Be sure all materials are received by November 12," since that, itself, is not a document that an applicant can upload to satisfy the requirement.
- The number means the minimum you require for that item. 0 (zero) means they MAY submit some of that item but it is not required, and a + (plus sign) after your number means that you are giving a minimum but will allow additional uploads.
- If the item is required, check the box
- If you do not want any of a certain item named in the list, simply do not check mark it.
- If you need an additional document name, just type it in to an empty box and check mark that line. NEVER ask for the cover sheet.
- OnLine and PostalMail refer to whether you expect the item to be submitted through Mathjobs (that is normal) or sent, for some reason, by postal mail instead. If you want something by postal mail, be sure you have given a mailing address in the text box that contains the complete job description.
- Writers contact info only refers to a case where you are NOT asking for reference letters at this time (for instance, a more senior position) but you need contact info in order to be able to contact the reference later.
| Download/export data
- How do I download/export data?
- Download data onto your own computer in two ways:
- Labels is where you select fields for downloading onto your own computer, for use in producing labels, lists or merge letters from your own software.
- Snapshot allows you to download, in one zip file, all current application materials. You can store this large file on your own computer system for safekeeping or viewing. It's best to do a snapshot when the hiring is done and you need to store a record of the applications for a few years. The screen will tell you when previous snapshots were taken. Snapshots should not be made a year or two later; you need to take them when the job is current, right before you mark the job as finished and before applicants have a chance to delete their materials.
| EOE Data
- EOE data can be collected by marking the EOE question on the CONFIG screen at the time the job is posted. Applicants will be asked the questions that appear in the box. These questions can be edited by someone who understands some basics of perl scripting and follows all the rules mentioned there. The EOE data collected is available, in summary form, to group managers. To create special access for an institutional EOE officer, a login identity can be created in the box List of email addresses which can access raw EOE data. Your EOE officer cannot have another role in MathJobs. When that person logs in, fuller data will be available. Questions about using the EOE functions should be sent to Mathjobs.org or call 800-321-4267 ext. 4096.
| Applicant list and files
- How do I search/sort this list?
- Any column heading can be clicked to sort by that column. For more sophisticated searching, use the SEARCH feature on the menu to create and save specific searches. These search filters will then start appearing as options on your List. A group manager can also force these searched to be shown on the faculty view.
- What does the + sign next to an applicant name mean?
- When you click on the + sign next to an applicant name, it opens a text box which allows you enter comments regarding the applicant.
- What does the + sign next to a reference writer name mean?
- When you click on the + sign next to a reference writer name, you are able to upload a scanned reference letter.
- What can I do with a paper application, or reference letter?
- When paper applications come in, use the NEW APP form to enter an email into the Mathjobs system and generate an email message which will advise the applicant to go to Mathjobs and apply there. You can see any names you already entered, and their status, by looking at the No Cover list under the ADMIN menu.
- When you receive a paper reference letter, you can scan the letter and upload it into that applicants file. Be sure to set the scanner to black & white, and use a fairly low resolution. Always enter reference letters onto the proper line for that writers name; use the green + button to pull up the upload screen. After uploading, the pdf of the document should show in that line. Applicants cannot access any document that you put into the reference section. If you do not need to scan and upload the letter, you may want to just mark it as received.
- What does Processed and Complete mean on the List?
- Processed can be automatically marked when you use the Labels function. Otherwise, the group manager can mark these two columns as they like.
- Job statuses:
- Group managers control the status of each job by using the status line at the bottom of each job edit screen:
- Current is the correct setting for a job where you are accepting applications, or still reviewing applications. Deadlines and public-display dates are set using the date fields mentioned above.
- Withdrawn is rarely used; it's appropriate for a short-lived job posting which received some applications before you had to stop your search.
- Deleted (danger!) -- almost never used, this is appropriate only for a listing that was created in error and received no applications.
- Finished is the normal status after the hiring is complete. The LIST for that job will no longer be accessible on the list screen. A job listing which is six months past its deadline or six months past the list until date (whichever is earlier) will roll automatically to Finished status.
- Filled status shows a Filled status to all who see the job listing, but your LIST remains in place. This is appropriate for the period after hiring, while some contact and record storage is still needed.
- Are the faculty seeing the same screens that a group manager sees?
- Not exactly. Use the AsFac choice on the Admin menu to see what the faculty view is like. Faculty cannot access the Config screen or change any job listings. They have extra options for ranking applications.
- Further questions?
- Call AMS staff at 800-321-4267, ext. 4096.