AMS Graduate Student Chapters
Chapter in a Box
Start your Chapter in 5 steps:
- Create a petition that includes the following*:
- Sponsoring University (Institutions hosting Graduate Student Chapters must be institutional members of the AMS.)
- Faculty advisor for the chapter
- At least 5 AMS student members, who will also be chapter members, with their email and preferred mailing address. (Note: Institutional Members of the AMS may nominate all graduate students to become AMS members for free. Institutional
Members that do not have a graduate program in mathematical sciences are entitled to nominate up to four (4) individuals for
membership, which the institution might consider granting to four students of its selection.)
- In its second year, the Chapter must have 10 student members of AMS.
- AMS Graduate Student Chapter Officers with their email and preferred mailing address. There shall be a President, Vice-President (optional), Secretary, and Treasurer.
- An annual budget for the first year (example budget). (Note: The group is encouraged to
investigate additional sources of funding from departments and the sponsoring institution.)
- Rules of procedure. Some of the items that should be covered are:
- Institutions from which members will be recruited
- Membership eligibility
- Benefits of membership
- Officers and terms of office
- Executive and other committees (if any)
- Chapter funds
- Dues (if any)
- Submit the signed petition, rules of procedure, and annual budget to Jenny Phothisarath.
- Receive welcome letter after AMS approval
- Complete request for annual AMS funding
- Start planning your events and share ideas with other chapters through the AMS Graduate Student Chapters Facebook page
*Please note that the approval process is approximately 8-10 weeks long. For that reason, the AMS suggests petitions for this academic year be submitted by October 31st.
Planning a Chapter Event:
Ongoing Activities and Responsibilities:
- Annual Activities & Treasurer’s Report (example of Annual Report): The AMS Graduate Student
Chapter will provide the AMS a report of its activities, revenue, and expenditures each year. This report is due by June 30 each year.
- Request for Funding: The AMS provides funding for Chapter activities and to help Chapters generate interest in mathematics among students on campus. AMS Graduate
Student Chapters with at least five AMS members may request up to $500 per academic year from the AMS. Large chapters with extensive activities may request up to
\$500 of additional supplemental funding. The AMS will provide a Request for Funding Form that Chapters should fill out and submit electronically. Except in the initial year,
requests for funding should be submitted on or before September 30 of year n for the academic year n to n+1.
For further information, contact Jenny Phothisarath.
If necessary, mail to:
American Mathematical Society
201 Charles Street
Providence RI 02904