2017 Individual Membership Categories
Find a category below that suits your situation. For help understanding which option is best for you, contact the AMS directly (see bottom of this page). AMS memberships run from January through December.
- whose annual professional income is below US$85,000. Dues: US$144 per year
- whose annual professional income is US$85,000 or more. Dues: US$192 per year
Special introductory rate applies to the first five consecutive years of regular membership. Eligibility begins with the first year of membership in any category other than student, graduate student member, or affiliate. Dues: US$72 per year
Joint Family Membership: Privileges are member discounts and one subscription to Notices and Bulletin per family.
- One member per family pays Regular dues based on his or her annual professional income (see Regular members, above)
- The other spouse pays regular dues, based on his or her annual professional income, minus US$20
Contributing Membership: Minimum dues for Contributing Members are US$288 or more per year. The amount paid which exceeds the higher regular dues level (see Regular members above) may be treated as a charitable contribution.
Reciprocity Membership: This reduced rate applies to any individual member of any reciprocating society who resides outside the U.S. at the time of billing. Reciprocity members residing in the U.S. at the time of billing are billed as Regular members. Check the list of Reciprocating Societies. Dues: US$96.00 per year
Multi-Year Membership: Members are invited to purchase a multi-year membership by prepaying their current dues rate for two, three, four, or five years. This option is not available to unemployed, student, or affiliate members. Multi-year payment applies only to the membership dues, not to journal subscriptions.
Life Membership: A life member is subsequently relieved of the obligation of paying dues. The status and privileges are those of regular members. A person may become a life member by making a single payment of dues determined by age at the start of the membership year according to the following:
- Age 60 or above: Five times the current higher regular dues rate (US$960)
- Age 50 or above: Ten times the current higher regular dues rate (US$1,920)
- Age 40 or above: Fifteen times the current higher regular dues rate (US$2,880)
- An exception to the above would be made for a person who is currently a member by reciprocity, has been a member by reciprocity for the previous two years and asserts the intention of continuing to be a member by reciprocity. Such a person may purchase life membership by a single payment of dues determined by the formula above but with regular dues replaced with reciprocity dues.
Affiliate Membership: This rate applies to members who reside in a Developing Country. Members must choose only one privilege journal. Please indicate your choice when you apply. Dues: US$16.00 per year
Student Membership: Members must submit annual Verification of their status. Dues: US$48.00 per year
Graduate Student Membership: Members must submit annual Verification of their status. Dues: US$48.00 per year
Unemployed Membership: Members must submit annual Verification of their status. Dues: US$48.00 per year
Retired Membership: Members must submit annual Verification of their status. Dues: US$72.00 per year
Emeritus Membership: This category is limited to those with 20 years or more of uninterrupted membership who retire. Requesting a move to Emeritus membership may not be done on the Web dues form; mark the change on your paper dues bill or contact the AMS directly to check your eligibility. Emeritus members pay no dues.
See information on AMS Member Benefits.
For help determining which category is right for you, Contact Sales, Marketing & Member Services either through Email AMS Member Servicesor call 401-455-4000 or 800-321-4267.