The Epsilon Awards for Young Scholars Programs support existing summer programs for mathematically talented high school students.The awards get their name from the word the renowned mathematician Paul Erdos (pictured below in his youth) used to describe a child: epsilon--a word used in math to denote a small quantity.
About this Award
In 1999 the American Mathematical Society established the Epsilon Fund endowment to help support summer mathematics programs for mathematically talented high school students. The name for the fund was chosen in remembrance of the late Paul Erdös, who was fond of calling children "epsilons." The goal of the program is to aid and promote programs that support and nurture mathematically talented youth in the United States, and to make these opportunities available to the broad pool of all mathematically talented high school students living in the United States. Paul Erdos as a child. Photo from the MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
Awards of \$2,500-\$15,000 are made annually to support existing summer programs that touch hundreds of talented and highly-motivated mathematics students. The number of programs supported each year varies.
Most Recent Award: 2020
- All Girls/All Math, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Mikil Foss
- Baa Hozho Math Camp, Navajo Technical University, David Auckly
- Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics (BEAM), Art of Problem Solving Foundation, Daniel Zaharopol
- Canada/USA Mathcamp, Champlain College, Marisa Debowsky
- CMT Summer Pogram for Math Scholars, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU, Selin Kalaycioglu
- Creative and Analytical Math Program of the Bard Math Circle, Bard College, Japheth Wood
- GirlsGetMath@ICERM, ICERM-Brown University, Brendan Edward Hassett
- Governor?s Institute on Mathematical Sciences, University of Vermont, Karen Taylor Mitchell
- Hampshire College Summer Studies in Mathematics, Hampshire College, David C. Kelly
- Joaquin Bustoz Math-Science Honors Program, Arizona State University, Cynthia Barragan Romero
- MathILy, Bryn Mawr College, sarah-marie belcastro
- MathILy-Er, Bowdoin College, Dr. Alice Mark
- MathPath, Mt. Holyoke College, Sam Vandervelde
- MathROOTS, MIT, Slava Gerovitch
- Mathworks Honors Summer Math Camp, Texas State University, Max Warshauer
- New York Math Circle High School Summer Program, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Kovan Pillai
- Programs in Mathematics for Young Scientists (PROMYS), Boston University, Li-Mei Lim
- QTM Math Circle, Emory University, Steven Olsen
- Summer Illinois Math Camp, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Alexi Block Gorman
- Summer Institute for Math at UW, University of Washington, Ron Irving
- Tapia Center for Excellence and Equity in Education, Rice University, Marisela Rodriguez
- Yakama Mathematics Camp (Indigenous Math Circles Program), Yakama Nation, David Auckly
Award announcement as seen in the news release.
See previous winners
15 December 2021
Contribute to the Epsilon Fund endowment
Apply for an Epsilon grant