AMS Employment Center
Report on the 2018 Mathematical Sciences Employment Center
San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, California.
January 10, 11, 12 & 13, 2018
The 65th Annual Mathematical Sciences Employment Center was held in San Diego, CA.
The preparation for the program is now completely online.
A total of 68 employers used at least one table at the Employment Center. Employers had two types of tables to choose from: Quiet Tables, and Committee Tables. One-Day Tables were available after the advanced registration deadline. A variety of employers were represented, and despite long hours spent at the interviewing tables, most employers were very satisfied with their experience and plan to participate again. Approximately 500 job seekers registered for the service also.
Applicants and employers were able to register in advance for the employment center by registering on Mathjobs.org and paying the appropriate fees (no fees for applicants).
Employers reserved tables which they could use to conduct interviews with any candidate (registered for the Joint Meetings), for any length of time, during any of the open hours. The hours of operation of the Interview Center included three evenings and one extra morning. During open hours, applicants who were waiting for their next scheduled interview did so in a waiting area, where employers walked over to greet them and bring them to the interview table.
A few small amenities were added in recent years, including coffee for employers who may not have adequate time between interviews to leave the room. A "Skype booth" was available to registered employers wishing to interview an applicant who was not present at the Meetings. Computers were available for use by participants.
The following employers attended the January 2018 Employment Center
- Applied Mathematics, Inc.
- Arkansas Tech University
- Bard College
- BASIS Independent Schools
- Berry College
- Birmingham-Southern College
- Bryn Mawr
- California State Univ., East Bay
- California State University, Stanislaus
- California University of Pennsylvania
- Carleton College
- College of Charleston
- Colorado College
- Cornell College
- Daniel H. Wagner Assoc., Inc.
- Davidson College
- Duke University
- Embry-Riddle University-Prescott
- Fifth Third Bank
- Furman University
- Hampden-Sydney College
- Hillsdale College
- Institute for Defense Analyses
- Jacksonville University
- James Madison University
- Lake Forest College
- Lawrence University
- Lebanon Valley College
- Lycoming College
- Marist College
- Messiah College
- Metron, Inc.
- Misericordia University
- Mississippi State University
- Mount Holyoke College
- National Security Agency
- Northern Michigan University
- Palantir Technologies
- Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
- Sacred Heart University
- Saint Leo University
- St. Olaf College
- Samford University
- Santa Clara University
- Siena College, School of Science
- Siena Heights University
- Southwestern University
- SUNY Cortland
- Swarthmore College
- Tarleton State University
- Texas A&M Corpus Christi
- The University of Southern Mississippi
- Union College
- United States Military Academy (West Point)
- University of Central Oklahoma
- University of La Verne
- University of Michigan-Dearborn
- University of Nebraska-Omaha
- University of North Carolina Asheville
- University of San Diego
- University of San Francisco
- Virginia Military Institute
- Wake Forest University
- Washington College
- Washington & Jefferson College
- Washington & Lee University
- Xavier University
Return to main Employment Center page.
For Further Information
Contact the Employment Center Staff at the AMS:
800-321-4267, ext. 4060, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about AMS employment services should be directed to email@example.com