Travel Grant Program for the 2017 Mathematical Congress of the Americas (MCA 2017)
Information about this travel grant program will be available in Fall of 2016. Please note that this program is contingent on receiving funding from the National Science Foundation.
Funding for U.S. Mathematicians attending MCA 2017 in Montreal, Canada, July 23-28, 2017
This program is contingent on receiving a grant from the National Science Foundation. The MCA 2017 travel grant program is intended to provide partial travel support for U.S.-based mathematicians to attend the Mathematical Congress of the Americas, July 23-28, 2017 in Montreal, Canada. It is expected that this travel grant program will provide travel support for both U.S.-based invited speakers (senior mathematicians) and early career mathematians. Applications will be evaluated by a panel of mathematical scientists under the terms of a proposal submitted to the National Science Foundation (NSF) by the Society.
Support is available for U.S. mathematicians who are in one of the following categories:
- Early career mathematicians within six years of their doctorate (that is, those who hold a doctorate granted between November 1, 2010, and December 31, 2016). The review process will be competitive. Please note women, and members of U.S. groups underrepresented in mathematics, who meet this requirement are especially encouraged to apply. For any program, fellowship, prize or award that has a maximum period of eligibility after receipt of the doctoral degree, the selection committee may use discretion in making exceptions to the limit on eligibility for candidates whose careers have been interrupted for reasons such as family or health. Therefore, those whose careers have been interrupted or delayed may request an exception to these dates through email to the address given in "Questions", below. If in doubt, please submit the application by the deadline and request the exception at that time. This program is open to U.S. mathematicians only (U.S. mathematicians are those who are affiliated with a U.S. institution, and must be affiliated with a U.S. institution at the time of travel).
- MCA 2017 Invited Speakers from U.S. institutions who desire funding should submit applications (see below). Funding is at a first come, first serve basis up to the amount of the NSF grant.
Conditions on Funding
- Mathematicians accepting grants for partial support of the travel to MCA 2017 may not supplement them with any other NSF funds. It is the intention of the NSF's Division of Mathematical Sciences to provide no additional funds on its other regular research grants for travel to MCA in 2017.
- An individual mathematician who does not accept a travel grant may use regular NSF grant funds, subject to the usual restrictions and prior approval requirements.
- The online application will be made available on www.mathprograms.org on September 15, 2016. Please check back here for complete information at that time.
- For questions about the travel grant program, contact Steven Ferrucci by email, or by phone at 800-321-4267, ext. 4113, or 401-455-4113.
- All information currently available about the MCA 2017 program, organization, and registration procedure is located on the MCA 2017 website.