How to Propose a New Journal
The AMS welcomes proposals for the creation of new mathematics journals. Use the form below to send proposals should be directed to the AMS Publisher. Include the following information:
- Description of the new journal, its scope, intended readership, etc.
- Explanation of the need for the new journal at this level/in this area.
- Data that shows the level of funding in the area (if any), size of author pool, where papers are currently being published and why a journal will pull these together, trends in the field.
- A statement on how the journal will be successful from a content perspective.
- A list of several comparable existing journals (if applicable) and explanation of how the proposed journal would differ.
- Opinions from independent expert reviewers about the quality, importance and viability of the proposed journal.
- Suggestions on the frequency/size of the journal and type of articles to be published (research, survey, short notes).
- Suggestions about the structure and operation of the journal’s editorial board: how many managing editors, their role, and the role of the other (coordinating, regular, associate) editors.
- Suggestions for the possible personal composition of the editorial board.
- Suggestions on the delivery media (print vs electronic vs hybrid); suggestions on whether it should be an open access journal.