The AMS, founded in 1888 to further the interests of mathematical research and scholarship, serves the national and international community through its publications, meetings, advocacy and other programs, which
- promote mathematical research, its communication and uses,
- encourage and promote the transmission of mathematical understanding and skills,
- support mathematical education at all levels,
- advance the status of the profession of mathematics, encouraging and facilitating full participation of all individuals,
- foster an awareness and appreciation of mathematics and its connections to other disciplines and everyday life.
What We Do
The AMS is dedicated to partnering with mathematicians around the world to . . .
- Support and fund researchers and programs that advance research;
- Publish research in journals and books;
- Engage and nurture students to develop talent and interest in exploring mathematics and research;
- Provide forums to support and networking to advance research and professional goals;
- Advocate for funding and support of research and education in the US and internationally; and
- Collaborate with organizations across business, industry, and government to develop and highlight career options for mathematicians.
Where to Find Us
The AMS has three offices in the US – our headquarters in Providence, Rhode Island; MathSciNet in Ann Arbor, Michigan; and the Office of Government Relations in Washington, DC. Come visit!
Connect With Us
Join the AMS
Be a part of the AMS community on your favorite social media platform: