The voting process starts in late August (when voting preferences are emailed to each member; members without an email address on file will be sent a paper ballot) and ends on November 1. The election process is carried out by Survey & Ballot Systems (SBS), a company that specializes in conducting elections for professional organizations. AMS members can vote online or by paper ballot. Information about the election and the candidates is also published each year in the September issue of the Notices of the AMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Who are the candidates in the 2020 election and where can I find information about them?
- A: Following is the list of candidates. Information about the candidates will be available in the September 2020 issue of the Notices of the AMS. If you choose to vote online, it is recommended that you read about the candidates in the September 2020 issue of the Notices of the AMS before logging on, as the voting website will automatically log you out after 45 minutes of inactivity, which can occur if you're just reading biographical information inside the voting application for more than 45 minutes.
(one to be elected)
|Board of Trustees
(one to be elected)
- Robert Megginson
- David R. Morrison
|Member at Large of the Council
(five to be elected)
- Andrew J. Blumberg
- Alina Carmen Cojocaru
- Duane Cooper
- Bree Ettinger
- Sarah J. Greenwald
- Kiran S. Kedlaya
- Victor H. Moll
- Anne Shiu
- Mark Tomforde
(three to be elected)
- Ron Buckmire
- Alex Eskin
- Patricia Hersh
- Matthew Kahle
- Ezra Miller
- David Savitt
|Editorial Boards Committee
(two to be elected)
- Barbara Lee Keyfitz
- Rafe Mazzeo
- Anna Mazzucato
- C. Eugene Wayne
- Q: When are election information and ballots sent to members?
- A: Traditional paper ballots and the email regarding online voting instructions are sent in late August. Members should expect to receive paper ballots by the middle of September.
- Q: When does voting end?
- A: Voting ends on November 1.
- Q: How do I vote online?
- A: Members who receive a paper ballot are provided the URL of the voting website (https://www.directvote.net/ams/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fams%2fdefault.aspx) and unique login credentials: an AMS Member Code and an E-signature (election pass code). Members who receive voting instructions by email are provided the same URL and unique login credentials. Members who receive voting instructions by email also receive a unique embedded login link which allows them to go directly to their ballot on the voting website without having to type in their login credentials.
- Q: If I receive a paper ballot, can I still vote online?
- A: Yes. Your ballot is preprinted with the information you need to log in to the voting website. You need to enter your AMS Member Code and E-signature (election passcode)
- Q: If I have misplaced my voting email or my paper ballot, how can I vote?
- A: If you want to vote online, you will need your login credentials. If your current email address is on file with the AMS as of August 1, then you can go to the voting website and click on the "Need help logging in?" link. If your current email address is not on file with the AMS, or if you want a paper ballot, then a replacement paper ballot will be issued. Contact Survey & Ballot Systems by phone (952-974-2339) or email and they will send a replacement ballot to the mailing address the AMS gave them for you. To arrange to have a ballot mailed to a different address, you must contact the AMS Sales & Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4128 (from the U.S. and Canada); or 401-455-4128 (worldwide).
- Q: What determines who receives a paper ballot and who receives email notification to vote online?
- A: AMS sent an email message in early May to all members with an email address on file, telling them their current voting preference, and giving them an opportunity to change it if they wish by late July. Members without an email address on file will be sent a paper ballot.
- Q: How can I find out my current voting preference and how can I change it?
- A: The directions for updating your voting preference are as follows:
1. Log in or create an account
2. In the right column under Membership click on see details
3. Under Please specify how you prefer to be notified regarding this member-related information, you can change how you receive AMS Election Ballot Materials.
If you have any problems, you can contact the AMS Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4128 (from the U.S. or Canada) or 401-455-4128 (worldwide).
- Q: When will the results of the election be announced?
- A: The results of the election will be announced in late November on the AMS website.
- Q: Who do I contact if I have a question that is not answered here?
- A: Send email to the AMS Election Coordinator.