2018 AMS Election
The 2018 AMS election opens on August 20, 2018 and closes at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time on November 2, 2018. AMS members can vote online or by paper ballot. The election process is carried out by Survey & Ballot Systems, a company that specializes in running society elections. On or shortly after August 20, 2018, instructions for voting online will be sent by email to members who chose that option. That same day, traditional paper ballots will be sent to all other members. Further information about the election and the candidates will appear in the September 2018 issue of the Notices of the AMS.
AMS members who have chosen to vote online will receive an email message on or shortly after August 20, 2018 from the AMS Election Coordinator, Survey & Ballot Systems:
- The "from" line will be “AMS Election Coordinator”
- The sender email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org
- The subject line will be "AMS 2018 Election - login information below"
The body of this message will provide options to securely access the AMS Election web site. In addition to providing your unique login credentials and the address (URL) of the voting web site, within it members will receive a unique embedded login link as an alternative means to securely access the ballot with one simple click. If you use a spam filter you may want to use the above address or subject information to configure your spam filter to ensure this email will be delivered to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Who are the candidates in the 2018 election and where can I find information about them?
- A: Following is the list of candidates. Information about the candidates will be available in the September 2018 issue of the Notices of the AMS. If you choose to vote online, it is recommended that you read about the candidates in the September 2018 issue of the Notices of the AMS before logging on, as the voting website will automatically log you out after 45 minutes of inactivity, which can occur if you're just reading biographical information inside the voting application for more than 45 minutes.
- Vice President
(one to be elected)
- Sara Billey
- Abigail Thompson
- Board of Trustees
(one to be elected)
- Matthew Ando
- Rick Miranda
- Member at Large of the Council
(five to be elected)
- Dan Freed
- Fernando Q. Gouvêa
- Christopher D. Hacon
- Daniel Krashen
- Susan Loepp
- Lenhard Ng
- Kasso A. Okoudjou
- Maria Cristina Pereyra
- Hal Schenck
- Melanie Matchett Wood
- Nominating Committee
(three to be elected)
- Sami H. Assaf
- Ricardo Cortez
- Rebecca Garcia
- Yongbin Ruan
- David Savitt
- Deane Yang
- Editorial BoardsCommittee
(two to be elected)
- Ian Agol
- David Marker
- James McKernan
- Terence Tao
- Q: When are election information and ballots sent to members?
- A: Traditional paper ballots and the email regarding online voting instructions are sent in late August. Members should expect to receive paper ballots by the middle of September.
- Q: If it is after August 20, 2018 and I have not received online voting instructions by email, or after September 20, 2018 and I have not received a paper ballot by postal mail, what should I do?
- A: Contact Survey & Ballot Systems by phone (952-974-2339) or email.
- Q: When does voting end?
- A: Voting ends on the first Friday in November.
- Q: How do I vote online?
- A: Members who receive a paper ballot are provided the URL of the voting website and unique login credentials: an AMS Member Code and an E-signature (election pass code). Members who receive voting instructions by email are provided the URL of the voting website and unique login credentials. Members who receive voting instructions by email also receive a unique embedded login link which allows them to go directly to their ballot on the voting website without having to type in their login credentials.
- Q: If I receive a paper ballot, can I still vote online?
- A: Yes. Your ballot is preprinted with the information you need to log in to the voting website. You need to enter your AMS Member Code and E-signature (election passcode)
- Q: If I have misplaced my voting email or my paper ballot, how can I vote?
- A: If you want to vote online, you will need your login credentials. If your current email address is on file with the AMS as of August 1, then you can go to the voting website and click on the "Need help logging in?" link. If your current email address is not on file with the AMS, or if you want a paper ballot, then a replacement paper ballot will be issued. Contact Survey & Ballot Systems by phone (952-974-2339) or email and they will send a replacement ballot to the mailing address the AMS gave them for you. To arrange to have a ballot mailed to a different address, you must contact the AMS Sales & Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4033 (from the U.S. and Canada); or 401-455-4033 (worldwide).
- Q: What determines who receives a paper ballot and who receives email notification to vote online?
- A: AMS sent an email message in early May to all members with an email address on file, telling them their current voting preference, and giving them an opportunity to change it if they wish by late July. Members without an email address on file will be sent a paper ballot.
- Q: How can I find out my current voting preference and how can I change it?
- A: You can find out and change your preference for receiving voting instructions by contacting the AMS Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4033 (from the U.S. or Canada) or 401-455-4033 (worldwide).
- Q: When will the results of the election be announced?
- A: The results of the election will be announced in late November on the AMS website.
- Q: Who do I contact if I have a question that is not answered here?
- A: Send email to the AMS Election Support Staff.