Diffeomorphisms of the circle and hyperbolic curvature
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by David A. Singer PDF
- Conform. Geom. Dyn. 5 (2001), 1-5 Request permission
Abstract:The trace $Tf$ of a smooth function $f$ of a real or complex variable is defined and shown to be invariant under conjugation by Möbius transformations. We associate with a convex curve of class $C^2$ in the unit disk with the Poincaré metric a diffeomorphism of the circle and show that the trace of the diffeomorphism is twice the reciprocal of the geodesic curvature of the curve. Then applying a theorem of Ghys on Schwarzian derivatives we give a new proof of the four-vertex theorem for closed convex curves in the hyperbolic plane.
- G. Cairns and R. W. Sharpe, On the inversive differential geometry of plane curves, Enseign. Math. (2) 36 (1990), no. 1-2, 175–196. MR 1071419 DO C. Duval and V. Ovsienko, Lorentz world lines and Schwarzian derivative, (Russian) Funktsional. Anal. i Prilozhen. 34 (2000), no. 2, 69–72; translation in Funct. Anal. Appl. 34 (2000), no. 2, 135–137. Gh E. Ghys, Cercles osculateurs et géométrie Lorentzienne, Colloquium talk at Journée inaugurale du CMI, Marseille, February 1995.
- P. Erdös and T. Grünwald, On polynomials with only real roots, Ann. of Math. (2) 40 (1939), 537–548. MR 7, DOI 10.2307/1968938 Mu S. Mukhopadhyaya, New methods in the geometry of a plane arc, Bull. Calcutta Math. Soc. 1 (1909), 31–37.
- V. Ovsienko and S. Tabachnikov, Sturm theory, Ghys theorem on zeroes of the Schwarzian derivative and flattening of Legendrian curves, Selecta Math. (N.S.) 2 (1996), no. 2, 297–307. MR 1414890, DOI 10.1007/BF01587937
- A. R. Collar, On the reciprocation of certain matrices, Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh 59 (1939), 195–206. MR 8, DOI 10.1017/S0370164600012281
- Ricardo Uribe Vargas, On the $(2k+2)$-vertex and $(2k+2)$-flattening theorems in higher-dimensional Lobatchevskian space, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 325 (1997), no. 5, 505–510 (English, with English and French summaries). MR 1692315, DOI 10.1016/S0764-4442(97)88897-0
- David A. Singer
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7058
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received by editor(s): July 26, 2000
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: January 23, 2001
- Published electronically: February 21, 2001
- © Copyright 2001 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Conform. Geom. Dyn. 5 (2001), 1-5
- MSC (2000): Primary 53A55; Secondary 52A55
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4173-01-00066-2
- MathSciNet review: 1836403