Abstract:In this article, we study what we call the Branner-Hubbard- Lavaurs deformation of real cubic polynomials with a parabolic fixed point of multiplier one. It turns out that the existence of non-trivial deformations corresponds to the oscillation of stretching rays and discontinuity of the wring operation.
- Bodil Branner, Cubic polynomials: turning around the connectedness locus, Topological methods in modern mathematics (Stony Brook, NY, 1991) Publish or Perish, Houston, TX, 1993, pp. 391–427. MR 1215972
- Bodil Branner and John H. Hubbard, The iteration of cubic polynomials. I. The global topology of parameter space, Acta Math. 160 (1988), no. 3-4, 143–206. MR 945011, DOI 10.1007/BF02392275
- Adrien Douady, Conjectures about the Branner-Hubbard motion of Cantor sets in C, Dynamics on the Riemann sphere, Eur. Math. Soc., Zürich, 2006, pp. 209–222. MR 2348963, DOI 10.4171/011-1/11
- Yohei Komori and Shizuo Nakane, Landing property of stretching rays for real cubic polynomials, Conform. Geom. Dyn. 8 (2004), 87–114. MR 2060379, DOI 10.1090/S1088-4173-04-00102-X
- John Milnor, Remarks on iterated cubic maps, Experiment. Math. 1 (1992), no. 1, 5–24. MR 1181083
- C. L. Petersen and Lei Tan, Branner-Hubbard motions and attracting dynamics, Dynamics on the Riemann sphere, Eur. Math. Soc., Zürich, 2006, pp. 45–70. MR 2348954, DOI 10.4171/011-1/2
- Mitsuhiro Shishikura, The Hausdorff dimension of the boundary of the Mandelbrot set and Julia sets, Ann. of Math. (2) 147 (1998), no. 2, 225–267. MR 1626737, DOI 10.2307/121009
- Lei Tan, Stretching rays and their accumulations, following Pia Willumsen, Dynamics on the Riemann sphere, Eur. Math. Soc., Zürich, 2006, pp. 183–208. MR 2348962
- P. Willumsen: Holomorphic dynamics: On accumulation of stretching rays. Ph.D. thesis Tech. Univ. Denmark, 1997.
- Shizuo Nakane
- Affiliation: Tokyo Polytechnic University, 1583 Iiyama, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0297, Japan
- MR Author ID: 190353
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received by editor(s): July 10, 2008
- Published electronically: March 26, 2009
- Additional Notes: The author was supported in part by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (No.17540177), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- © Copyright 2009
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Conform. Geom. Dyn. 13 (2009), 110-123
- MSC (2000): Primary 37F45; Secondary 37F30
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4173-09-00192-1
- MathSciNet review: 2491720