Canonical Thurston obstructions for sub-hyperbolic semi-rational branched coverings
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by Tao Chen and Yunping Jiang PDF
- Conform. Geom. Dyn. 17 (2013), 6-25 Request permission
Abstract:We prove that the canonical Thurston obstruction for a sub-hyper- bolic semi-rational branched covering exists if the branched covering is not CLH-equivalent to a rational map.
- Lars Ahlfors and Lipman Bers, Riemann’s mapping theorem for variable metrics, Ann. of Math. (2) 72 (1960), 385–404. MR 115006, DOI 10.2307/1970141
- G. Cui, Y. Jiang and D. Sullivan, On geometrically finite branched covering maps, Manuscript, 1994.
- Guizhen Cui, Yunping Jiang, and Dennis Sullivan, On geometrically finite branched coverings. I. Locally combinatorial attracting, Complex dynamics and related topics: lectures from the Morningside Center of Mathematics, New Stud. Adv. Math., vol. 5, Int. Press, Somerville, MA, , pp. 1–14. MR 2504307
- Guizhen Cui, Yunping Jiang, and Dennis Sullivan, On geometrically finite branched coverings. II. Realization of rational maps, Complex dynamics and related topics: lectures from the Morningside Center of Mathematics, New Stud. Adv. Math., vol. 5, Int. Press, Somerville, MA, , pp. 15–29. MR 2504308
- Guizhen Cui and Yunping Jiang, Geometrically finite and semi-rational branched coverings of the two-sphere, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 363 (2011), no. 5, 2701–2714. MR 2763733, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9947-2010-05211-0
- Guizhen Cui and Lei Tan, A characterization of hyperbolic rational maps, Invent. Math. 183 (2011), no. 3, 451–516. MR 2772086, DOI 10.1007/s00222-010-0281-8
- Adrien Douady and John H. Hubbard, A proof of Thurston’s topological characterization of rational functions, Acta Math. 171 (1993), no. 2, 263–297. MR 1251582, DOI 10.1007/BF02392534
- Clifford J. Earle and Sudeb Mitra, Variation of moduli under holomorphic motions, In the tradition of Ahlfors and Bers (Stony Brook, NY, 1998) Contemp. Math., vol. 256, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2000, pp. 39–67. MR 1759669, DOI 10.1090/conm/256/03996
- Frederick P. Gardiner, Yunping Jiang, and Zhe Wang, Holomorphic motions and related topics, Geometry of Riemann surfaces, London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., vol. 368, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2010, pp. 156–193. MR 2665009
- F. R. Gantmacher, The theory of matrices. Vol. 1, AMS Chelsea Publishing, Providence, RI, 1998. Translated from the Russian by K. A. Hirsch; Reprint of the 1959 translation. MR 1657129
- Y. Jiang, A framework towards understanding the characterization of holomorphic maps, to appear in Frontiers in Complex Dynamics, Princeton, 2013.
- Yunping Jiang, Sudeb Mitra, and Zhe Wang, Liftings of holomorphic maps into Teichmüller spaces, Kodai Math. J. 32 (2009), no. 3, 547–563. MR 2582017, DOI 10.2996/kmj/1257948895
- Gregory Stephen Lieb, Holomorphic motions and Teichmuller space, ProQuest LLC, Ann Arbor, MI, 1989. Thesis (Ph.D.)–Cornell University. MR 2638376
- Curtis T. McMullen, Complex dynamics and renormalization, Annals of Mathematics Studies, vol. 135, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1994. MR 1312365
- John Milnor, Dynamics in one complex variable, Friedr. Vieweg & Sohn, Braunschweig, 1999. Introductory lectures. MR 1721240
- Kevin M. Pilgrim, Canonical Thurston obstructions, Adv. Math. 158 (2001), no. 2, 154–168. MR 1822682, DOI 10.1006/aima.2000.1971
- W. Thurston, The combinatorics of iterated rational maps. Preprint Princeton University, Princeton, N.J. 1983.
- Gaofei Zhang and Yunping Jiang, Combinatorial characterization of sub-hyperbolic rational maps, Adv. Math. 221 (2009), no. 6, 1990–2018. MR 2522834, DOI 10.1016/j.aim.2009.03.009
- Tao Chen
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10016
- MR Author ID: 1004078
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yunping Jiang
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, Queens College of CUNY, 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, NY 11367 and Department of Mathematics, CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10016
- MR Author ID: 238389
- Email: email@example.com
- Received by editor(s): March 19, 2012
- Published electronically: January 23, 2013
- Additional Notes: The second author is partially supported by the collaboration grant (#199837) from the Simons Foundation, the CUNY collaborative incentive research grant (#1861), and awards from PSC-CUNY. This research is also partially supported by the collaboration grant (#11171121) from the NSF of China and a collaboration grant from the Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science and the Morningside Center of Mathematics at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- © Copyright 2013
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: Conform. Geom. Dyn. 17 (2013), 6-25
- MSC (2010): Primary 37F30, 37F20, 37F10, 30F30
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S1088-4173-2013-00250-6
- MathSciNet review: 3010347