Matings of cubic polynomials with a fixed critical point, Part I: Thurston obstructions
HTML articles powered by AMS MathViewer
- by Thomas Sharland PDF
- Conform. Geom. Dyn. 23 (2019), 205-220 Request permission
Abstract:We prove that if $F$ is a degree $3$ Thurston map with two fixed critical points, then any irreducible obstruction for $F$ contains a Levy cycle. As a corollary, it will be shown that if $f$ and $g$ are two postcritically finite cubic polynomials each having a fixed critical point, then any obstruction to the mating $f \perp \! \! \! \perp g$ contains a Levy cycle. We end with an appendix to show examples of the obstructions described in the paper.
- Magnus Aspenberg and Pascale Roesch, Newton maps as matings of cubic polynomials, Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. (3) 113 (2016), no. 1, 77–112. MR 3544774, DOI 10.1112/plms/pdw021
- Ben Bielefeld, Yuval Fisher, and John Hubbard, The classification of critically preperiodic polynomials as dynamical systems, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 5 (1992), no. 4, 721–762. MR 1149891, DOI 10.1090/S0894-0347-1992-1149891-3
- Mario Bonk and Daniel Meyer, Expanding Thurston maps, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, vol. 225, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 2017. MR 3727134, DOI 10.1090/surv/225
- A. Bonifant and J. W. Milnor, Cubic polynomials maps with periodic critical point, Part III: External rays, Manuscript, in preparation, 2018.
- Adrien Douady and John H. Hubbard, A proof of Thurston’s topological characterization of rational functions, Acta Math. 171 (1993), no. 2, 263–297. MR 1251582, DOI 10.1007/BF02392534
- F. R. Gantmacher, The Theory of Matrices, Chelsea, 1959.
- John Milnor, Pasting together Julia sets: a worked out example of mating, Experiment. Math. 13 (2004), no. 1, 55–92. MR 2065568, DOI 10.1080/10586458.2004.10504523
- John Milnor, Dynamics in one complex variable, 3rd ed., Annals of Mathematics Studies, vol. 160, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2006. MR 2193309
- John Milnor, Cubic polynomial maps with periodic critical orbit. I, Complex dynamics, A K Peters, Wellesley, MA, 2009, pp. 333–411. MR 2508263, DOI 10.1201/b10617-13
- Carsten Lunde Petersen and Daniel Meyer, On the notions of mating, Ann. Fac. Sci. Toulouse Math. (6) 21 (2012), no. 5, 839–876 (English, with English and French summaries). MR 3088260, DOI 10.5802/afst.1355
- T. Sharland, Matings of cubic polynomials with a fixed critical point, Part II: Topological obstructions, In preparation, 2020.
- Mitsuhiro Shishikura and Tan Lei, A family of cubic rational maps and matings of cubic polynomials, Experiment. Math. 9 (2000), no. 1, 29–53. MR 1758798, DOI 10.1080/10586458.2000.10504634
- Lei Tan, Matings of quadratic polynomials, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 12 (1992), no. 3, 589–620. MR 1182664, DOI 10.1017/S0143385700006957
- Lei Tan, Branched coverings and cubic Newton maps, Fund. Math. 154 (1997), no. 3, 207–260. MR 1475866, DOI 10.4064/fm-154-3-207-260
- Thomas Sharland
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island 02881
- MR Author ID: 1008780
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received by editor(s): June 26, 2018
- Received by editor(s) in revised form: August 27, 2019, and September 18, 2019
- Published electronically: October 30, 2019
- © Copyright 2019 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Conform. Geom. Dyn. 23 (2019), 205-220
- MSC (2010): Primary 37F10; Secondary 37F20
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/ecgd/342
- MathSciNet review: 4024933