Abstract:We compute the reduced genus 1 Gromov-Witten invariants of Calabi-Yau hypersurfaces. As a consequence, we confirm the 1993 Bershadsky-Cecotti-Ooguri-Vafa (BCOV) prediction for the standard genus 1 GW-invariants of a quintic threefold. We combine constructions from a series of previous papers with the classical localization theorem to relate the reduced genus 1 invariants of a CY-hypersurface to previously computed integrals on moduli spaces of stable genus 0 maps into projective space. The resulting, rather unwieldy, expressions for a genus 1 equivariant generating function simplify drastically, using a regularity property of a genus 0 equivariant generating function in half of the cases. Finally, by disregarding terms that cannot effect the non-equivariant part of the former, we relate the answer to an explicit hypergeometric series in a simple way. The approach described in this paper is systematic. It is directly applicable to computing reduced genus 1 GW-invariants of other complete intersections and should apply to higher-genus localization computations.
- M. F. Atiyah and R. Bott, The moment map and equivariant cohomology, Topology 23 (1984), no. 1, 1–28. MR 721448, DOI 10.1016/0040-9383(84)90021-1
- M. Bershadsky, S. Cecotti, H. Ooguri, and C. Vafa, Holomorphic anomalies in topological field theories, Nuclear Phys. B 405 (1993), no. 2-3, 279–304. MR 1240687, DOI 10.1016/0550-3213(93)90548-4
- K. Behrend and B. Fantechi, The intrinsic normal cone, Invent. Math. 128 (1997), no. 1, 45–88. MR 1437495, DOI 10.1007/s002220050136
- Aaron Bertram, Another way to enumerate rational curves with torus actions, Invent. Math. 142 (2000), no. 3, 487–512. MR 1804158, DOI 10.1007/s002220000094
- Philip Candelas, Xenia C. de la Ossa, Paul S. Green, and Linda Parkes, A pair of Calabi-Yau manifolds as an exactly soluble superconformal theory, Nuclear Phys. B 359 (1991), no. 1, 21–74. MR 1115626, DOI 10.1016/0550-3213(91)90292-6
- David A. Cox and Sheldon Katz, Mirror symmetry and algebraic geometry, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, vol. 68, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1999. MR 1677117, DOI 10.1090/surv/068
- Kenji Fukaya and Kaoru Ono, Arnold conjecture and Gromov-Witten invariant, Topology 38 (1999), no. 5, 933–1048. MR 1688434, DOI 10.1016/S0040-9383(98)00042-1
- Andreas Gathmann, Absolute and relative Gromov-Witten invariants of very ample hypersurfaces, Duke Math. J. 115 (2002), no. 2, 171–203. MR 1944571, DOI 10.1215/S0012-7094-02-11521-X
- Alexander Givental, The mirror formula for quintic threefolds, Northern California Symplectic Geometry Seminar, Amer. Math. Soc. Transl. Ser. 2, vol. 196, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1999, pp. 49–62. MR 1736213, DOI 10.1090/trans2/196/04 [HKlQ]HKlQ M. Huang, A. Klemm, and S. Quackenbush, Topological string theory on compact Calabi-Yau: modularity and boundary conditions, hep-th/0612125. [KlPa]KlPa A. Klemm and R. Pandharipande, Enumerative geometry of Calabi-Yau 4-folds, Comm. Math. Phys. 281 (2008), no. 3, 621–653.
- M. Kontsevich and Yu. Manin, Gromov-Witten classes, quantum cohomology, and enumerative geometry, Comm. Math. Phys. 164 (1994), no. 3, 525–562. MR 1291244
- Y.-P. Lee, Quantum Lefschetz hyperplane theorem, Invent. Math. 145 (2001), no. 1, 121–149. MR 1839288, DOI 10.1007/s002220100145
- Jun Li and Gang Tian, Virtual moduli cycles and Gromov-Witten invariants of general symplectic manifolds, Topics in symplectic $4$-manifolds (Irvine, CA, 1996) First Int. Press Lect. Ser., I, Int. Press, Cambridge, MA, 1998, pp. 47–83. MR 1635695 [LiZ]LiZ J. Li and A. Zinger, On the genus-one Gromov-Witten invariants of complete intersections, math/0507104.
- Bong H. Lian, Kefeng Liu, and Shing-Tung Yau, Mirror principle. I, Asian J. Math. 1 (1997), no. 4, 729–763. MR 1621573, DOI 10.4310/AJM.1997.v1.n4.a5
- Kentaro Hori, Sheldon Katz, Albrecht Klemm, Rahul Pandharipande, Richard Thomas, Cumrun Vafa, Ravi Vakil, and Eric Zaslow, Mirror symmetry, Clay Mathematics Monographs, vol. 1, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI; Clay Mathematics Institute, Cambridge, MA, 2003. With a preface by Vafa. MR 2003030
- Yongbin Ruan and Gang Tian, A mathematical theory of quantum cohomology, J. Differential Geom. 42 (1995), no. 2, 259–367. MR 1366548
- Ravi Vakil and Aleksey Zinger, A desingularization of the main component of the moduli space of genus-one stable maps into $\Bbb P^n$, Geom. Topol. 12 (2008), no. 1, 1–95. MR 2377245, DOI 10.2140/gt.2008.12.1 [ZaZ]ZaZ D. Zagier and A. Zinger, Some properties of hypergeometric series associated with mirror symmetry, to appear in Modular Forms and String Duality, The Fields Institute Communications, Volume 54. [Z1]g1comp2 A. Zinger, Reduced Genus-One Gromov-Witten Invariants, math/0507103.
- Aleksey Zinger, On the structure of certain natural cones over moduli spaces of genus-one holomorphic maps, Adv. Math. 214 (2007), no. 2, 878–933. MR 2349722, DOI 10.1016/j.aim.2007.03.009
- Aleksey Zinger, Intersections of tautological classes on blowups of moduli spaces of genus-1 curves, Michigan Math. J. 55 (2007), no. 3, 535–560. MR 2372615, DOI 10.1307/mmj/1197056456 [Z4]bcov0 A. Zinger, Genus-zero two-point hyperplane integrals in the Gromov-Witten theory, math/0705.2725.
- Aleksey Zinger, Standard versus reduced genus-one Gromov-Witten invariants, Geom. Topol. 12 (2008), no. 2, 1203–1241. MR 2403808, DOI 10.2140/gt.2008.12.1203
- Aleksey Zinger
- Affiliation: Department of Mathematics, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794-3651
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Received by editor(s): July 23, 2007
- Published electronically: October 2, 2008
- Additional Notes: The author was partially supported by a Sloan Fellowship and DMS Grant 0604874
- © Copyright 2008
American Mathematical Society
The copyright for this article reverts to public domain 28 years after publication.
- Journal: J. Amer. Math. Soc. 22 (2009), 691-737
- MSC (2000): Primary 14N35, 53D45
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0894-0347-08-00625-5
- MathSciNet review: 2505298