Abstract:A finite-difference method for solving the time-dependent NavierStokes equations for an incompressible fluid is introduced. This method uses the primitive variables, i.e. the velocities and the pressure, and is equally applicable to problems in two and three space dimensions. Test problems are solved, and an application to a three-dimensional convection problem is presented.
- Hiroshi Fujita and Tosio Kato, On the Navier-Stokes initial value problem. I, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 16 (1964), 269–315. MR 166499, DOI 10.1007/BF00276188 A. J. Chorin, "A numerical method for solving incompressible viscous flow problems," J. Computational Physics, v. 2, 1967, p. 12. J. O. Wilkes, "The finite difference computation of natural convection in an enclosed cavity," Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1963.
- A. A. Samarskiĭ, An efficient difference method for solving a multidimensional parabolic equation in an arbitrary domain, Ž. Vyčisl. Mat i Mat. Fiz. 2 (1962), 787–811 (Russian). MR 183127
- Richard S. Varga, Matrix iterative analysis, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1962. MR 0158502
- P. R. Garabedian, Estimation of the relaxation factor for small mesh size, Math. Tables Aids Comput. 10 (1956), 183–185. MR 88802, DOI 10.1090/S0025-5718-1956-0088802-7 C. E. Pearson, "A computational method for time dependent two dimensional incompressible viscous flow problems," Report No. SRRC-RR-64-17, Sperry Rand Research Center, Sudbury, Mass., 1964.
- Alexandre Joel Chorin, The numerical solution of the Navier-Stokes equations for an incompressible fluid, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 73 (1967), 928–931. MR 216814, DOI 10.1090/S0002-9904-1967-11853-6
- S. Chandrasekhar, Hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability, International Series of Monographs on Physics, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1961. MR 0128226 A. J. Chorin, "Numerical study of thermal convection in a fluid layer heated from below," AEC Research and Development Report No. NYO-1480-61, New York Univ., Aug. 1966. P. H. Rabinowitz, "Nonuniqueness of rectangular solutions of the Benard problem," Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. (To appear.) E. L. Koschmieder, "On convection on a uniformly heated plane," Beitr. Physik. Alm., v. 39, 1966, p. 1. H. T. Rossby, "Experimental study of Benard convection with and without rotation," Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass., 1966. F. Busse, "On the stability of two dimensional convection in a layer heated from below," J. Math. Phys., v. 46, 1967, p. 140.
- © Copyright 1968 American Mathematical Society
- Journal: Math. Comp. 22 (1968), 745-762
- MSC: Primary 65.68
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1968-0242392-2
- MathSciNet review: 0242392